Borrowing a few aspects of Vietnamese banh mi sandwich for pulled pork sandwiches

Mark R (LR)

TVWBB Super Fan
I ran across an interesting Vietnamese banh mi sandwich and have been tinkering with it a little. First, I built a version of a banh mi sandwich as follows: sriracha mayo with chopped green onions on both buns, thin sliced English cucumber on the bottom bun, sliced smoked pork, thin sliced jalapeno, cilantro, and pickled & julienned carrots and daikon. That was pretty good, and I will do it again.

I was helping cook for a cycling club gathering and ran out of time to prep most of those ingredients so just sliced the jalapeno and cucumber and brought the cilantro. Even without the other ingredients, those three went pretty well with a basic pulled pork sandwich. It basically adds a crunch similar to slaw but with a different combination of flavors that work well together. If you haven't tried something like that, it's a pretty easy way to dress up a pulled pork sandwich. Sorry, no pics this time.

I was pleased to see that my local Kroger had daikon. The pickled carrot & daikon went over well enough with our group that was cooking for the party that we used the whole jar, and I didn't have enough time to make another batch for the next day. The next time I try a banh mi, I'll use pulled pork and will add BBQ sauce in addition to the other ingredients. I'll also add some crushed garlic to the sriracha mayo to make it more like an aoli. Finally, I'm absolutely loving my mandolin slicer for stuff like this.

I was pleased to see that my local Kroger had daikon. The pickled carrot & daikon went over well enough with our group that was cooking for the party that we used the whole jar, and I didn't have enough time to make another batch for the next day. The next time I try a banh mi, I'll use pulled pork and will add BBQ sauce in addition to the other ingredients. I'll also add some crushed garlic to the sriracha mayo to make it more like an aoli. Finally, I'm absolutely loving my mandolin slicer for stuff like this.

What sort of mandolin do you have?

After doing some research on it, I decided on the Swissmar Borner V-1001 V-Slicer Plus Mandoline and am VERY happy with it. I can make cole slaw in no time and seriously upped my game on things like salads.
salad.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool. I like the V-slicer type better than the straight-bladed ones. I have the OXO mandolin, which works well but it's a pain to clean and only has 4 settings. I also have an older one that's made by Norpro, I think, but it isn't a V, and doesn't work as well. It does have variable adjustments though.

The one you have looks like it's variably adjustable, and looks like it stores nicely, too. If you don't have one already, a kevlar glove is a nice addition to the mandolin. :)

Ha! Yes, in reading reviews, there were MANY warnings about losing fingertips, so I ordered the kevlar glove when I got it :)

Back