Boneless vs. Bone-In Turkey Breast

John W

TVWBB Member
Hi all! I have done around 8 lb. bone-in turkey breasts before using the apple juice brine for 24 hours. I smoked them at about 290-300 degrees for 2-3 hours. This year though, I'd like to try a few boneless turkey breasts instead (also around 8 lbs each). Do I need to adjust anything since the only variable being removed is the bone not being there? Is the cook time shorter? Do I need to brine for less time? I usually use cherry wood, nothing too strong.

Thanks!

John

Try Apple wood this year, and cook one with bone and one boneless. Go by temperature, not time. Enjoy!

They'll probably take close to the same time- I like boneless too when I can find them. Boneless is going to be a little thicker is why I think it might take a little longer....maybe 30-45 minutes.

They'll probably take close to the same time- I like boneless too when I can find them. Boneless is going to be a little thicker is why I think it might take a little longer....maybe 30-45 minutes.

Thanks Clint! I didn't realize the thickness issue. That makes sense.

If you're running 290/300 degrees, your breast will be done in < 2 hours - I'm all for high heat Turkey cooks, but if you're breast sees 3 hours at 290/300, it'll be overdone (imho)

We cook several breasts a year. Typically I cook them on a flow thru stand and I probably run 325 and I've never seen anything past 1.5 hours. Most our cooks are for Turkey sandwiches, we LOVE Turkey sandwiches

I cooked a bone-in 7.5 lb turkey breast this past Sunday on my Weber Kettle (using the snake method, no water pan), and ran about 300~325F. It was done in just about 2 hours.

It was juicy and tender, and I didn't even get a chance to properly brine it! I barely got to thaw it before it went on!

Back