Boneless pork butt on the rotisserie?

Mike Willis

TVWBB All-Star
I normally smoke my pork butts in the WSM using the high heat method and have been very happy with the results. However, I'm always looking to try something different, so I was thinking of putting one on the Weber kettle rotisserie, trying to keep the temperature between 325-350 degrees and letting it spin for 6-8 hours.

Has anyone tried this method? I'd like to hear any suggestions/experiences, whether they be positive or negative, regarding this method.

Thanks in advance!

Hmmm... I'm thinking you'd definately need to use a basket. I would think at some point as you get to your pull temp the weight would just pull it out of the forks I think.

I don't know. I'm sure it would be perfect as long as you execute it properly. I just think it would pull apart at some point. Maybe if you tie it up with butcher's string that would help.

I've been using food grade rubber bands in lieu of butcher's twine for the past year or so. They work great and are reusable.

I think if you support the butt every three inches or so, it shouldn't fall apart, but you may want to pull it at slicing stage rather than pulling stage - or at that point, stop the rotisserie, pan the butt and let it finish on the cool side of the grill to pullable.

Let us know how it goes and post some pics!

Pat

I am going to tie the pork about every two inches down the length after I tie it end to end - it's a long one and not as big around as others I've bought at Costco.

The thing I'm most worried about is the temperature of the kettle. I've banked coals on the sides before when using the rotisserie and temps still went to 400+ degrees - even with the bottom vents closed.

I was thinking along the lines of Pat's suggestion... take it off the rotisserie when it hits 165 degrees, then wrap it in foil and set it on the grill to finish.

Thanks for all of the input!

I haven't used the rotisserie, but I tie my boneless butts. Remember, the meat is going to shrink and the ties might loosen. It's not a problem on the WSM rack, but you might want to keep a good eye on it after it's been cooking a while. Hopefully it won't be an issue, but it is something to keep in mind. A rotisserie basket sounds like a good idea.

Pat, I've been wondering how well those silicone ties work. Glad to hear that you like them. Are there any downsides to using them?

Rita

Thanks Rita, I forgot about shrinkage! The last pork butt I did was a very "sectional" piece... I pulled it out of the package and it was more like connected chunks than one butt. If the one I'm doing tomorrow is similar to that one, I'll revert to the WSM.

Thanks!

Quick question...

Is the larger WSM the same diameter as a kettle? As such, does the rotisserie ring work on it?

I have two Performer's, the last of which came with a rotisserie. However, I've been a colossal chicken **** and haven't made an attempt to use it yet. I need to suck it up and do something with it. It's just that anything I've though about putting on it, I've had success preparing via other methods.

Try using long, folded strips of foil as caulking material to fill in the crack between the bottom bowl and the roti ring. Then you can use the bottom vent to more effectively regulate temp. [Also, for extended low temp cooks, only use one side of lit coals to start. As that side burns down, add lit coals to the other side. I've done 4-6 hours @ 250F doing this.]

Rita - I've not had any downsides to the bands. I use them mostly for tying back chicken legs and wrapping around the wings for chicken on the rotisserie, and I've used them to support pork loin and beef tenderloin on the rotisserie.

Biggest challenge I have is keeping up with them. I'm not at all convinced that one or more of them have ended up holding back one of my daughters' pony tails.

Pat

Well, I chickened out on using the rotisserie. I unwrapped the pork butt, tied it up and gave it a long look. Decided the risk of it falling apart part way through the cook was too great because of it's shape and size.

I WILL try it sometime, but I need to at least find some mesh that I can wrap totally around the butt (to replace tying it with string) if I can't find a basket large enough to hold one.

Thank you everyone for your help/suggestions!

Back