Boneless Chuck Roast vs. Chuck Roll

Status
Not open for further replies.
Susan,
Speaking of drinking, I just popped my second Miller Lite! I know, I know, I am on a diet. But I figure I have been through enough this week, I am going to enjoy my weekend. Beer and all! I am doing a "Drag Net", just trying to get "the facts, and only the facts ma'am" about CR's!! I was looking at a post with pic's, where someone cooked a 20+ lber before and I started to lick the screen it looked so good!
icon_eek.gif
icon_eek.gif
I can't wait to cook this sucker!

Larry,

I've got 20.7lber. in the refrigerator cooling it's heels until I can get to it Tuesday night. I think I'm going to cut it in half and put 10lbs on each grate.

I'll post some pics of the prepping, cook and the finished product. PLEASE, no licking the screen though, I just can't get by that visual.
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bruce Bissonnette:
PLEASE, no licking the screen though, I just can't get by that visual.
icon_biggrin.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>That's got to be a shocking experience with all that static build up
icon_eek.gif

Shawn
The roll won't be stewing in it's own juices because it is resting and tenderizing in the cooler. Don't punch holes in the foil it will defeat the process.
Jim

understood Jim, don't want to poke holes when we are resting in foil to preserve moisture ...

The TVWB ref topic on CR says to foil at 160F then return and cook to 190F.

I was talking about making holes in the bottom of the foil before returning the CR to the cooker to allow the drippings to drain.

Shawn
I understand but even if you use that method (I have used it often) poking holes will defeat the purpose. Because of the size of these beasts the foil allows for the roll to be taken to pulled without drying out the exterior. I want the juices in the package because during the rest the meat will absorb much of the juice.
Jim

Alrighty then!! The beast is on the WSM, has been since 7 am. Internal temp up to 147 now! Will post more later! Thanks for the help!

Good morning all,

Yes this is a great thread, full of info....

I just acquired a 16.5lb chuck roll yesterday from Sam's. Had to ask for it, and to my surprise they knew what I was talking about.

This baby is going on next weekend for a birthday get-together.

Have fun!

Larry,

The estimated time of cooking is 1:15 per pound
as per (Master Bryan) I did have a small one that cooked at 1:40 per pound dinner was a little late, but worth the wait.

Cheers

Steve,
I put my CR on at 7am, it's up to 162 right now at 2:39pm. I am going to foil it at 165-170, and cook it until it gets to 195-200. I got a really late start this morning, so now unfortunately I am in kind of a rush. I want to be able to let it rest a couple hours before I pull it. I can't wait to dig into it, it looks great so far!
icon_biggrin.gif

I want to here how this CR turned out too! Do you guys prefer CR over pork butt? If so, I gotta try one of these out, gonna try one out anyhow I guess.
DP

The chuck roast turned out pretty good. It would have been better if I would have started earlier. I ended up pulling it off the cooker about 6:30 (190*) and only let it rest for 30 minutes or so. The Natives were getting very restless saying, "me want food". For the most part it pulled pretty easily, I got a stubborn part that needed a little extra tug to get to pull, but was still tender enough to pull. Overall I would give myself on this cook a "B-". Had I planned better it would have turned out much better. It was not the meats fault. Here is a list of things I would do differently.

1. Start earlier
2. Use more wood, (not enough smoke flavor or ring), I used 6 good size chunks of hickory.
3. Cook foiled to 200*, (for easier pulling)
4. Allow several hours to rest in a cooler, (to help the meat re-absorb the juices)
5. I wouldn't pull the meat as soon as I unfoiled it, (my fingers are now cooked)

Overall a good first chuck cook, next one will be much better!
icon_biggrin.gif

Sounds like a pretty good first effort. How does it compare (tastewise) to pork butt?

How'd ya eat it? Sammitches?

Susan,
A little different than pork butt, little stringy. But that was because I rushed it too much! We had sammiches, Cathryn had it plan with her favorite hot sauce, "Franks"!! Can you believe a two year old that will throw a fit if you give her dinner without hot sauce!? The kid loves it!

Shoot, now you can't "punish" her with hot sauce on the tongue as has been recently advocated by um, was it that chick who played Blair from "Facts of Life"?

Does she eat hot sauce on her mac and cheese? Man that's good...!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back