Bone in Rotisserie prime rib

George Si

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi
Anyone have experience doing a bone in prime rib on an east/west genesis gas grill. Is it worth doing this way? Any input appreciated. Thanks. George

Im in for updates on this. I know Larry Micheals has done the bone in Prime rib but not sure if he did it on a roto.

Yest it's worth doing but only if my invitation comes BEFORE the cook is done. Thing is though if it's a shallow fire box Genesis I don't know if there is room between the rotisserie and the center burner. But if you can get it in there it's VERY tasty. Be careful of the heat. The fat cap can catch fire on you in a heart beat

Yest it's worth doing but only if my invitation comes BEFORE the cook is done. Thing is though if it's a shallow fire box Genesis I don't know if there is room between the rotisserie and the center burner. But if you can get it in there it's VERY tasty. Be careful of the heat. The fat cap can catch fire on you in a heart beat
Hi
I did a 11.2 lb Turkey a few weeks ago. I took out the grates and the middle 3 flavor bars wrapped the middle burner in foil and balanced roast pan between the first and last flavor bar and there was space. I alternated between using front/back burner or just front burner. Came loose once but was good. My hesitation was the heat from the rod over cooking the middle. My other idea was very slow cooking on the grates with front burner(200°). Then finishing at the end for 10-12 minutes on 500+°

I don't thin a hunk of meat as big as a 10lb turkey would suffer from too much heat in the skewer. I don't have science to back that up, but just my hunch.

I also don't think switching burners makes much difference as the meat is always turning. so, heat in the front, heat in the back or both don't really matter unless the overall temps at turkey level change.

The trick with the skewer is to loosely wrap the skewer in foil. It deflects and does not transfer the high heat into the rod. Because, nothing worse looking than seeing that beautiful prime rib with a gray "bullet" hole going through it

I must not be seeing something here? If I wrap the complete skewer in foil and then try to push it through the meat it seems the foil will just bunch up on the part of the skewer that goes into the meat

George, I think the idea is to wrap the ends of the skewer that are outside the meat after you already have skewered the meat.

The foil is loosely wrapped on the exposed ends of the rod. It deflects heat preventing the gray bullet hole. It's not necessary on smaller things that cook faster. A bone in rib roast takes a while and that gray bullet hole looks pretty bad on a beautiful slice of roast

Did you do yours, George? We bought one while on sale near Easter (but not intended for an Easter meal)... and I found it in the back of the fridge a few days ago :cry:

Thanks, I got it now, just loose foil(shiny side out) on the exposed part of the skewer. Did make the roast, after coating with kosher salt, rosemary, pepper and a few other spices, also I cut thin pieces of garlic and pushed them into the meat. Cooked at 200 degrees until meat registered 128 degrees, then let sit for half hour while oven was put on convection roast at 500 degrees, then put meat back in to sear for about 8 minutes or so. Delicious. Next time will try on rotisserie. This time winds were extremely high. Thanks again. George

Works great on the rotisserie George. It is the only way I do them now.

Richard.

Attachments

• 8646FC4F-8E5D-4911-BD51-D219A0F4786D.jpeg
    8646FC4F-8E5D-4911-BD51-D219A0F4786D.jpeg
    83.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 674D7684-BD03-4EC1-9BBB-488306A5C278.jpeg
    674D7684-BD03-4EC1-9BBB-488306A5C278.jpeg
    168.3 KB · Views: 8

Back