Bologna Opinion?

Clay Jackson

TVWBB Super Fan
I have my annual golf trip down to Pinehurst this coming weekend. 12 guys, three nights, 6 rounds of golf and who knows how much beer.

I am already planning on smoking four butts for the weekend, but was considering throwing on a bolonga as well using the directions on the site.

What has been your overall impression of the smoked bologna and are there any tips to follow outside of the directions or any pitfalls to avoid? I plan on adding it four hours before the end of the cook...hopefully pulling four butts and the bologna at the same time...wrapping each in foil packing it in the cooler and then starting the car for my four hour trip to Pinehurst.

I don't know about the bologna...but are you going to get to play #2? If so, I hate you hate you hate you Clay!
icon_biggrin.gif
I've always wanted to play that course.

Clay,

A friend of mine smoked a large chub of bologna and I was very impressed. Since it is a cooked product, I would think it would be easy to prepare and pretty much fool proof. Pinehurst and 6 rounds of golf...need a caddie??
icon_wink.gif
Enjoy your trip!

Paul

# 2 would be a waste with my golf game. We played it a couple of years back though...very fun to be on a golf course with that much history. Thanks for the help with the bologna. I have just cored out the middle holes and "skinned" the casing off of the bologna. I will rub it tonight and cook it tomorrow before heading out of town. Acutally I might put it on at the same time as the butts, come to think of it, so it gets really good smoke.

I was about to give you amazing tips and helps, but then my jealousy got the best of me, since I'm not the one playing pinehurst and I decided to withhold all my wisdom and insight.

But... I can be bribed into divulging this information...
icon_smile.gif

Actually, I have no experience doing bologna on the smoker. What do you serve it with? On sandwiches? That's just too funky for me. I hate bologna to begin with... I don't think smoking it would save it for me. Regardless, may your golf game be even better than your bologna!

the bologna is done. I smoked a four.19 lb of bologna for 3 hours at 245 degrees. It was sitting in the smoker with four 8 lb butts. They are still on there and will be there for quite awhile I think.

The bologna is really good. Now, I like bologna to begin with, I like BBQ sauce and I love my rub...so how could I miss, right. There is a definate smoke flavor added to the bologna. For my cook I used various fist sized chunks of apple, cherry, grape and hickory. I also had the fat I trimmed off the Butts in the coals as well. The fat actually transfeered much more flavor than I anticipated.

Tomorrow, once the bologna has cooled I plan on doing a test taste. The hot test taste was great, but I thin a night in the fridge will even help it out more. To serve...I plan on slicing it and then frying it in a pan for fried bologna sandwiches...should be great on the turn and much better than paying $4 for a hotdog on the course.

Sounds yummy. Maybe a little creole mustard on the side, some crispy lettuce? I'd keep the sandwiches 'neat' so as not to cover the flavor of the meat. If the someone wants a condiment, let them add the mustard or whatever as they wish. I have a golf tourney this weekend; unfortunately nothing as tasty as your offerings will be available
icon_frown.gif
Paul

So what happens to the BBQ sauce during the cook, is it absorbed into the bologna? That's the part I don't get.

Back