Bobby Flay/Wood Chicks/Throwdown Last night ??

Having eaten there a few times, I thought it was awful, it actually closed shortly after opening then reopened under a new name. I ate there prior to them closing, and twice afterward. And I didn't care for it at all, they have some really nice comp trailers out front which I think serve as catering rigs.

Makes me want to throw my hat in the catering ring, and yes, Bobby's pork must have been horrible. (i live 1.2 miles from Wood Chicks)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff M:
Having eaten there a few times, I thought it was awful, it actually closed shortly after opening then reopened under a new name. I ate there prior to them closing, and twice afterward. And I didn't care for it at all, they have some really nice comp trailers out front which I think serve as catering rigs.

Makes me want to throw my hat in the catering ring, and yes, Bobby's pork must have been horrible. (i live 1.2 miles from Wood Chicks) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

if you are refering to the one on battlefield, that used to be the BBQ and Rib Co. and yes it was horrible. wood chicks has a small store in great bridge on cedar road. when the BBQ and Rib place went belly up wood chick's bought the building and opened up a 2nd resturant. i haven't ate at the new Wood Chick's just the one on Cedar rd, so i can't comment on the new one.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Makes me want to throw my hat in the catering ring </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The way I look at bbq catering, is it seems to be more about whether you have the equipment and ability to mass produce and deliver "bbq." it has nothing to do with whether you can do it well.

Last summer I attended a "bbq" and brew festival. the "bbq" was subpar at best, but it was mostly produced by people with some serious money invested in their operation. and the few that do it locally get plenty of work because they have a monopoly (not because they're good).

I always serve a vinegar slaw on my PP at events (and use Texas toast for bread). If they don't want the slaw, they can take take it off if they like and rarely do.

As far as catering, I do some low number catering (50 bodies or less) and it's just friends and referrals. I do get excellent feedback and referrals because it is "small" catering and am able to really cook, not just mass produce. I do it in my 2 smokers and 2 kettles plus my single oven and a few crock pots. It really doesn't take much time and doesn't make much extra money, though enough to keep doing it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jon Merka:
you dont have to let it rest if its all going to be eaten right then just have at it. you dont have to use foil either. the main purpose of resting a hunk of bbq is to let the juices redistribute so leftovers dont go dry and a platter of cut meat doesnt go dry on the table.

foil serves as a means of keeping moisture in the meat as it slowly cools. neither will hurt but both can make it better.

i would love to see that episode since i think flay is about the ridiculous cook on the food network. he always takes a dish and does something wierd that completely misses the point of beating someone at their own game. he always does some fruity california/newyork thing by adding wierd crap that doesnt belong in a dish he is challenging someone to then stacks the deck with food critics that never eat that sort of food to begin with. he is just hilarious.

wonder if he used a wsm with the waterpan on the coals to cook his pork... heh </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I won't go so far as to call Flay a no talent bum but he's an actor with sub-par skills IMNSHO. Or an entertainer who forgot his big shoes & squirting flower.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Clint:I won't go so far as to call Flay a no talent bum but he's an actor with sub-par skills IMNSHO. Or an entertainer who forgot his big shoes & squirting flower. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have to disagree with you big time. I don't know Bobby Flay personally, but I have watched him on the Throwdowns and Iron Chef for several years. Just from that I'd say that not only can he cook---he wins on Iron Chef about 90+ percent of the time--but he is one of the most generous folks around.

I don't know very many cooks, chefs...people in general...who would walk into a situation where the odds are stacked against him the way they are on Throwdown..with the sole intention of spotlighting the "competition," of making the other guy look good even if it means he, himself, looks bad in losing. And he loses 90+% of the Throwdowns.

If you think about how easy it would be for someone like him to get a big head and never share or put himself in a position where he could lose, it's hard to understand why anyone would dislike him. Sure he makes the big bucks but anyone who can make money with a genuine and sincere good humour and a willingness to reach out to other not-so-sucessful people gets my nod of approval.

I admire him

Jon Merka, You didn't just rip on my man Bourdain did you? He constantly goes after the food network clowns. I enjoy his show more than any cooking show, ever. He's intelligent, entertaining, and he actually delves into the heart and soul of the areas she visits and their cuisine. Sorry, But I got to stick up for my boy. Erik

I like Bobby Flay - his show is meant to showcase local heroes and food gems.

And Bourdain is great.

Overall the food network has moved away from serious cooking shows into the entertainment category. There are some decent shows, but overall it has slipped a bit.

The network suits in their next Food Network Star show are pretty obviously moving to where the money is.

I still don't understand Sandra Lee and her semi-homemade food (crap)

Wow.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DW Frommer II:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Clint:I won't go so far as to call Flay a no talent bum but he's an actor with sub-par skills IMNSHO. Or an entertainer who forgot his big shoes & squirting flower. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have to disagree with you big time. <snip>
I admire him </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good for you. Now employ Flay's techniques instead of the ones on this site & let us know the reaction of your victims.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Clint:Good for you. Now employ Flay's techniques instead of the ones on this site & let us know the reaction of your victims. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I (or my wife ) have tried a number of his recipes...they're great! I haven't found a one that I didn't like ...and like better than the alternatives out there.

But having said that, let me just point out that Bobby Flay is a chef, he's not a BBQ guru.

I'd eat Flay's SW cuisine in a heartbeat...for BBQ I'd probably prefer my own.

BTW...a disagreement is not a challenge or an argument, let's not make it one...just sayin'

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I (or my wife ) have tried a number of his recipes...they're great! I haven't found a one that I didn't like ...and like better than the alternatives out there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I posted this upthread:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">didn't see the episode but I'd like to throw in my two cents about bobby flay. I've cooked quite a bit from his books and just about every recipe's a winner. As far as I'm concerned, that's pretty much all that matters. He can be the biggest clown on tv, but if he can write a good recipe that's a homerun when I cook it, then he's cool by me. Flay will be the first to admit, food tv painted him in a corner and they represent him as something he's not, but he doesn't mind cashing in on it all.

ok, sorry for the mini rant. try his stuff (like this sauce) you'll love it.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

IMO Flay is the real deal, a rare combo of talent and execution. Like Batali, Flay would be a successful restaurant chef regardless of foodtv. Certainly their notoriety was amplified by their tv work, but I keep tabs on lots of chefs and read many cookbooks, and Flay and Batali's books are someone the best. Compare their to books authored by other tv "chefs" or chefs with talent but less tv exposure and their books rank very highly.

We have plans to someday try both a Batali and a Flay restaurant in NYC, so I reserve my judgement on their actual food. But I have cooked extensively from their books, and if their recipes are any indication, they definitely know what they are doing.

One thing that I find interesting, is the point that celeb chef are "sell outs." Reading the history of big time cooking in america, reveals a lot of poor, tortured, artist that didn't have a way to generate global publicity for their food. To say that these past-greats wouldn't have done the same thing (open a restaurant in vegas) is moot because it wasn't possible then. There are examples of past-greats taking advantage of the limit pub that they got and "cashing-in" on a much smaller scale. I guess the point was that, as a profession, the pro-chef was always a bit whorish, just now its painfully obvious the lengths they will go to make money.

I saw the show last week. Looked like the "Wood Chick" had many butts in her smoker. They fed what looked like approx 25-30 people.
Yes, I love slaw on my PP sammies! I used to live in South Carolina and slaw on PP is mostly the norm with mustard vinegar sauce.
They had 2 KCBS judges for the throwdown. I think what hurt Flay a bit was his "jacked" up slaw. He tried to give it some flair and I believe the judges did not like it. I believe one judge said the slaw was a bit over powering. They did judge both with the PP on the bread with the slaw on top. They did not just judge the meat alone.

Food Network needs some shows on bbq, especially for the summer. Maybe follow a pro team to some comps, would make a neat reality show. Better than some that are out there now!

Gary

My wife and I have also cooked a number of BFlay's recipes from both his books or from Food Network's website. Every one has been excellent. I have also been to his Mesa Grill restaurant in both Las Vegas and NYC in addition to another one of his NYC restaurants and all of them have been off the charts. To me, he is the real deal and I love his creativity and passion for what he does.

Bob

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">One thing that I find interesting, is the point that celeb chef are "sell outs." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is the problem I have. Theses celeb-chefs just open theses restaurants from coast to coast...How can they possibly have quality control over them? I'd much rather frequent the "little guy" that puts his heart, soul, and wallet into what he loves to do. This is why I love Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives. I'm not a big Guy Fieri fan, he's another food *****. I like the idea and stories of the people opening those restaurants. Lots of BBQ joints as well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger: I guess the point was that, as a profession, the pro-chef was always a bit whorish, just now its painfully obvious the lengths they will go to make money. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What is 'whorish' about Batali or Flay? The fact that they are getting national and even international attention? I think...my opinion 'only...to equate that with selling out is overstating the case.

Flay hasn't changed his way of cooking, in fact the notoriety that he has is based upon his style. I can't see where a case can be made that he's pandering or selling out.

Perhaps, people feel that celeb-chefs are whorish' because their personalities and their styles become the "brand." But that's the way it is here in America these days. And it is far better than the alternative which involves becoming something like a KFC franchise. Far better, don't you think, that you become the brand than that you tailor yourself or your work to the lowest common denominator.

Being a chef and/or cooking for large crowds is one of the few endeavors left that people can pursue without selling out.

As far as controlling the quality...in widely spaced venues...well, that's always going to be a problem. The solution is to train your people yourself and to insist that they use only your recipes and your methods...and visit regularly.

For me, They ARE a franchise. They didn't start out by wanting to open restuarants across the country, peddle their brand-name kitchen gear, etc. They were in it for the love of food, not the money! There is not way they can control their brand when they spend most of their time on Food Network. I see no difference between Bobby Flay and McDonalds, yes the food is probably better...But the theme is the same.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">One thing that I find interesting, is the point that celeb chef are "sell outs." Reading the history of big time cooking in america, reveals a lot of poor, tortured, artist that didn't have a way to generate global publicity for their food. To say that these past-greats wouldn't have done the same thing (open a restaurant in vegas) is moot because it wasn't possible then. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>An excellent point. I quite agree.

To answer Erik's: I like to frequent the 'little guy' to, and do so, especially in the fine dining arena, pretty frequently. But it isn't hard to have quality control with a far-flung empire -- Puck has done it, as has Flay, Bayless, Mina, Palmer, Trotter, Keller, Fenniger/Milliken, and many others -- it's all about hiring the right people, as in any business that grows beyond what a single person can manage.

Notwithstanding what one probably sees on D,D & D (I have not seen it, I am making an assumption), there is far less out there on the lower end of the market that is, imo, very remarkable. Not nothing, mind you, but much less than one might think. There are many great stories, and many cool places with interesting characters or palpable ambience, but when it comes to the actual food or food items, well, not so much, not at least compared to the number of D, D, and Ds and Q joints extant. Since I'm one that eats at a few hundred of these places every year I wish it weren't so but, to me, it is.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What is 'whorish' about Batali or Flay? The fact that they are getting national and even international attention? I think...my opinion 'only...to equate that with selling out is overstating the case.

Flay hasn't changed his way of cooking, in fact the notoriety that he has is based upon his style. I can't see where a case can be made that he's pandering or selling out.

Perhaps, people feel that celeb-chefs are whorish' because their personalities and their styles become the "brand." But that's the way it is here in America these days. And it is far better than the alternative which involves becoming something like a KFC franchise. Far better, don't you think, that you become the brand than that you tailor yourself or your work to the lowest common denominator. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was addressing the fact that critics often portray these chefs as "sell outs." I was relaying some historical information that I read that put it into perspective and possibly suggests otherwise.

In some respects flay is a bit of a ***** and he's often the first to admit that. He's on record as saying that foodtv cast him as their "grilling guy." And despite the fact that he doesn't consider himself a "grilling guy" he's happy to play the role.

I also get a laugh every time I cruise through the foodtv dept at kohl's (hey I guys got to keep himself interested while the mrs shops) and see all the crap flay puts his name on (plastic squeeze bottle with various shaped tips to brush, dot, swirl sauces on a plate???).

This all does nothing to change my mind that he's a good chef. You see it in the quality of his restaurants, his recipes and iron chef.

as far as the ability to have control over a far flung empire, keller has camera's over every station in per se's nyc kitchen so he can observe everything from california. possibly more of a marketing gimmic then anything else, but the little I've read about Thomas Keller leads me to believe he's actuallt watching the video.

Back