Bobby Flay today on "Boy Meets Grill"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris G.

TVWBB Member
The Food Channel, 12:00 pm eastern time...Bobby Flay on "Boy Meets Grill" did a special on Texs BBQ, and used a WSM to do a brisket.

Bobby put the bottom (charcoal) grate in, dumped his lit charcoal in, added his wood chips, and then said "...now add the water stand" where then he placed the fire ring rather crooked over the coals, and then added the water pan...placing it directly on top of the fire ring, and filling it with water. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

It was obvious he was not familier with the WSM. And also strange...the brisket appeared to be large...about 14 lbs Id say, and he said he cooked it for only 5 hours. /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Hmmm...my internal temp is only about 120-130 aftger 5 hours on a large cut like that. /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

And even stranger, it looked very well done when he removed it, and actually looked good (moist and tender) as he was slicing it.

I suspect a little hanky-panky on the shows part. Methinks covering the coals with the water pan would severly hamper the fire, if not smothering it all together.

I also cant figure a 14lb brisket being even close to being done after only 5 hours. The absolute minimum for even a "hot" smoke is 1/2 hour per pound.

Anybody else see it?

Every time this episode airs, it arouses the ire, indignation and bemusement of the WSM and barbecue communities in general. What I had never realized until now, is that his girlfriend is the prosecutor from Law & Order: SVU. I may never be able to watch that show again now, either, without thinking of the 5 hour brisket.

Oh, well, nothing to do now but wait until 6:00pm Central: Good Eats comes on.

It really is unbelievable how Bobby Flay totally misrepresents any reasonable method of using the WSM. I suppose Weber is glad to have their product exposed on TV, but I think they should include some disclaimer as to it use on the show. If someone purchased that product and thought they could produce that brisket like Flay did, they would certainly feel mislead. IMO it is a disservice to the viewing audience and to Weber.

Here's Flay putting the water pan on top of the fire ring
Mvc-018f.jpg

He must be doing something right, though. His girlfriend is Stephanie March.
Mvc-019f.jpg

She's from Texas and likes to eat brisket.
Mvc-020f.jpg

Give the man some credit...
He may not use the WSM as we do, but he is one awesome chef, with some killer recipes, loves to grill, and his girlfriend is really hot!

Well, if he cooks his brisket in 5 minutes, i can only guess how long it takes him to *cook* his girlfriend... /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I?ve never seen that show so far, but i think the worst show really is "licence to grill".
I?ve downloaded 4 episodes so far from digitaldistractions, i i always laughed my *** of.
That guys shows how he preps and cooks the meals, but there NEVER EVER a recipe to be seen...alway like "take some of... , add some..., dont forget the ..." and so on, so i think no one can reproduce the stuff he cooks.
Nothin beats alton brown...

Best thin i learned from "licence to grill" : "Hickory is a good wood for bbq"...
/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif
Thats what he said as he put the ribs on the gasser.Temp was 200F and it took 2 hours to cook them...hmmmm... /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

By the way, tom...You dont have the episode on your computer, do you ?

Don Marco

Funny you mentioned that. I was watching him cook some shrimp on one episode and he mentioned how fast it would cook so he would just wait.

I watched in a bit of confusion when he put the cooked shrimp back on the same plate that he brought the original raws on.

I'm sure he's a great chef and all, and I'm not trying to bash him, but maybe Hollywood puts these guys in bad positions for a "show" when they need to be "cooking".

I concur about Alton, though. I love watching his shows....very informative. Some of the recipe's kinds suck (the oven ribs is one of them) but over all, a lot of good info.

I gotta tell ya, I always concidered him an arrogant SOB, but then I saw him in the IC america shows. He is really a good chef! I wish Chris would send him an invite to the site so he can learn the method to true Q on the WSM.

I like Bobby Flay but this afternoon when I saw him give a pork butt a steam bath in chicken stock, only season with salt and pepper, and then finish it off in a skillet (after pulled) it really bothered me. All in about four hours. I'm just glad there is this forum. If I would have seen that prior to finding TVWB I might have actually tried it his way!

I did however see Alton Brown on "Good Eats" smoking a leg of lamb. It was a breath of fresh air. This guy seems to know his way around a pit. His technique was excellent and I look forward to his show on "Pulled Pork" tomorrow evening at 7:00!

You guys here at TVWB are the real pros!

I'm glad someone posted on that show. I thought the placement of the water pan was great. 5 hours, come on. I am sure some amateurs are going to try it and think they can do it in 5 hours. I hope they like their brisket rare.

They better like it rare and tough as shoe leather cause that's what they'll get. As far as their different methods for cooking up meat, to each his own. However, the wsm was grossly misrepresented. I believe I saw that show a year or two ago. Flay is not good for much of anything but his book had a catchy title so he gets the pub. After a while, it's more about the "flare" and "smoke'n mirrors" than it is about the food.

I have to give Bobby Flay credit for keeping in touch with his fan base. I also think that he is a good chef, maybe not the best BBQer but he has become very well known from his efforts.

I bet he wishes that he could erase that HUGE mistake with the water pan though. Somebody had to get there butt chewed about that one. lol

Dale

Did anyone recognize the make and model of gasser he was using ?

I don't argue with his skills and reputation. My problem is that I believe a significant number of people watch these shows for instruction and not just entertainment. To use the equipment so improperly and to indicate a finish time which is unrealistic, is not fair to the viewing public - no matter how great you are.

Quote from the link posted above by John L. :

"...I use Viking grills on my show...The grills are expensive but really worth the money..."

Don Marco

Hi Don - I don't have the show on computer - just took pictures of the TV with my digital camera.

As for Bobby Flay - he's obviously got something going on to have TV shows, restaurants, books - and all of us writing about him! And don't forget, he has Stephanie March for a girlfriend.

59f61ab0.jpg

590fc920.jpg

And he used to have Jacqui Malouf on his "Hot off the Grill" show.

jacquimalouf.html_txt_jacqui_malouf2.gif

(His shows have gotten progressively worse - "Chillin and Grillin" with Jack McDavid was the best. "Hot off the Grill" was good, until Jacqui Malouf wasn't on anymore. His new show, "Boy meets Grill" is terrible.) It will be interesting to see how his new show about BBQ will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back