Bobby Flay today on "Boy Meets Grill"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bobby Flay i think is a pretty good chef, but yah.. for some odd reason he urgs me.

maybe after watching that Iron Chef episode w/ him going against Morimoto in Japan... with him standing on top of the cutting board and stuff like that.

but yah.. oof.. wont the water pan on the charcoal ring smother the fire, or at least if not.. totally evaporate the water in like 15 mins?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sean M.:
[qb] According to FoodTV, here is the recipe:

"Prepare the smoker according to manufacturer's directions. Place the brisket in the smoker, fat side up and smoke for 4 to 5 hours or until extremely tender. Baste with the mop every 30 minutes. "

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_22623,00.html

~ Sean [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Okay, its proven there was hanky panky!

1. Bobby clearly said "...fat side down." on the show...the URL say "fat side up".

2. The recipe says "5-6 lb" brisket...there is NO WAY the brisket he had was under 10 lb!

I have just lost a LOT of credit for Bobby Flay... /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

And yes...Bobby can come off as an arrogant know-it-all sometimes.

I think it?s this pompous behavior that makes him the most ?Love to Hate? chief out there. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Later... /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Since we are speaking of Food Network. Did any one see the show Unwrapped (hosted by Mark Sumners) either yesterday or Monday? they were talking about grilling, and BBQ. They visited the Weber plant, and also the Weber restuarant- where they have huge kettles going all the time. Good pub for Weber.

Also, they cook only on charcoal in their kettles, and showed all of these chimneys with fire shooting out the top to get it going. perhaps they had gas burning to get the charcoal started? seems to sound like those folks that get their coals started with a turkey fryer are on the right track!

Wade, the turkey burners are the ONLY way to go when starting charcoal. Until the propane tank runs out. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif Okay, maybe not the ONLY way, but it works great.

As far as that "Unwrapped" episode, I'd love to be able to just stand back and watch in the Weber restaurant kitchen. Those are all Weber "Ranch Kettles", if I remember correctly. (?)

Has anyone on list ever been to that restaurant?

Keri C, smokin on Tulsa Time

Keri...

I used to be a regular at the location in Oakbrook....actually watched it being built. A company I consulted for was located about a block away and I was there every other week. Very nice and very good food. I have also eaten at the location on Milwaukee Ave. several times before they opened the place in OakBrook.

I did not see any gas assisted devices...I just assumed they used the Weber starters to fire the coals. You could see into the kitchen at the OakBrook location...what a hoot to see all those kettles in there!

I never did get back into the heart of the operation to ask questions...it was one of those things...I'll do it next time, yada, yada and before I knew it, there was no next time! Haven't been to it now in over 4 years.

I've been there for lunch a couple of times, and it's good, but I wouldn't say it's great. It's kind of tourist-oriented, and priced accordingly . Excellent burgers, but I was a little disappointed by the steaks. And, unfortunately, their pulled pork and ribs don't stack up to what you can make on your WSM. Haven't tried the brisket, chicken, or fish.

So it's not a necessary pilgrimage. A Weber fan going to the Weber Grill isn't going to experience the kind of joy, say, as a Guinness fan who goes to the Guinness brewery in Ireland. (Wow.) Still, its fun enough to try. The appetizers are good, and the grills look and smell great. They even gave me a packet of spice rub with the check, which I thought was cool. If you're in downtown Chicago and looking for lunch, I'd recommend it, as long as you have reasonable expectations.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Keri Cathey:
[qb]Has anyone on list ever been to that restaurant?[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Here's my field report from 2001.

On the Unwrapped show, I too thought it looked like the chimneys were sitting on some sort of gas starter.

Regards,
Chris

I went to the one out in the suburbs of chicago. Think it was called Oakbrook, or Buffalo Grove, or something like that. I also thought it was more cool to watch the kettles go, than the food was good. The one on the show was not the one I went to. It was more urban, and alot nicer, newer on the inside.

As for Weber cubes to start those? They must have had about 40 to get flames shooting out of the top by that much. It looked like to me that the bottom coals would probably be the size of dimes by the time the top ones were done with all that fire shooting up the middle. Also, they looked to be sitting in little circular depressions on the metal counters- -like they were designed to be there.

And lastly, looked like the main ones were ranch kettles, but there were some smaller ones for cooking the fruit and other small stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back