Bobby Flay - I take it all back!

Charles Howse

TVWBB Wizard
I made fun of Bobby Flay saying, "...350 - 400* and constantly baste with sauce. You'll have perfect ribs every time." in an ad for his show "Boy Meets Grill".

I take it all back.

Just watched his show on BBQ ribs, and that spot must have come from another show...he never said those words on this show.
He does it right.

Smoked 4 hours @ 200*, then finish off on the grill with a maple syrup glaze.

Now the text on the link above is misleading. It refers to cooking on the grill, but he used a high-tech smoker with an electric rotisserie.

The only thing I can complain about is he used soaked wood chips instead of dry chunks.

Damn if it didn't look great!
My hat's off to ya, Bobby.

No no no, Flay is still an idiot!

He didn't say it on his show, he said it on one of those short spots that they show during commercial breaks. I saw it myself and remember thinking Isn't that sauce going to burn?

He's still the moron who said it takes 5 hrs to cook a full packer brisket on an incorrectly assembled WSM with the fire being smothered, and the same doofus who puts the cooked food back on the same plate the raw food came from, etc.

Really, it's ok to hate him!

I'm with you Susan. I was convinced he was a Q phony when he put the charcoal ring on top of the lit caols when assembling the WSM.

And then went on to say it only takes 4 or 5 hours to cook the beast! Or was it less. I probably kept losing consciousness as I banged my head against the wall.

If you notice when he cooks on Iron Chef America, he takes the cooking spoon, tastes from it, and puts it back in the pot! If I were a judge on that show, I would definitely throw his food in the garbage.

The guy has great recipes, but to tell you the truth, I think there's a helluva lot more knowledge on this board than he has in his entire head, and recipes that rival his.

I think we all deduced after the brisket show that he got his information on cooking time from the WSM manual. Yes, idiot.

LMAO!!!
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

Big Al

You have to admit that he is good. Anyone who can bbq a packer in 5 hours has to be good. And he has a great looking girlfriend and several tv shows to boot.
My hero.
icon_smile.gif

Well if it is wife #3, he evidently hasnt learned his lesson. I do find most of his recipes are far to exotic for my taste cause im a plain ol meat & tater kind of guy.

The poor guy will never live down the WSM episode.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Iron Chef fans hate him for jumping up and standing on his cutting board almost as much as we hate his WSM debacle. I fact, I love this line at the bottom of one of the "Anti Bobby Flay" Webring sites (next to BF's smiling mug): "Thinking of dinner at Mesa Grill or Bolo in New York? Remember - Bobby's been standing on the cutting board."

Cracks me up!

Flay is an interesting personality ... he seems to bring out the extremes of either adoration or contempt in many of his viewers. It's a little difficult for me to understand.

Personally, I don't care for his style, but I'll still watch his show ... because even a bad grilling/barbecue show is good.

Wow, miss a day and miss all the splash!

I was thinking the same thing about BF when I watched the Bobby Flay marathon (definitely off and on).

Me: "Golly, Bobby knows what he's doing. He's cooking it low and slow." (BTW, did you see that rig he had?!?!)

Then I watched the other shows, saw the same things mentioned here, and realized that the Emmy Award Winner was more entertaining than insightful when it comes to grilling, cooking, barbequeing, or generally meeting most federal and state guidelines for health and sanitary safety.

So, kudos for the recipes (I like exotic) but a resounding "You're fired" for execution.

Sometimes that guy will surprise me by appearing to do things exactly right, but nine times out of ten disappointment is just around the corner....!

Jeez I'm jealous that he's got a Vegas restaurant now. Grrrrrrrrrr.

Wonder if he ever got his gigantic rotis working?

We went to Mesa Grill at Caesar's for a drink after we saw Celine Dion. It is an absolutely gorgeous restaurant. It's virtually impossible to make a decision on where to eat there, so many places to choose from. The menu looked enticing. My problem is, Caesar's is my least favorite hotel there.

I toyed with walking down to check out Mesa and check out who the chef is when I was there a couple weeks ago. But restaurant row at the Mandalay (and the string of places between Mandalay and Luxor) had me captured. And I'm no fan of Caesar's either.

Back