Blower size reccomendations

J. Winn

TVWBB Fan
Does anyone have a recommendation for blower size on a 14.5" WSM/Mini SJ WSM? Additionally, would it be helpful to have a sticky that people can post their setups and what blower sizes that they have had success with. Or is their a general pit size/cfm rule? Thanks!

the standard HM blower is 6.7CFM and it should be more than sufficient for either of the pits you mentioned. You can scale down the blower with the MAX speed settings in the HM configuration if the flow of the 6.7CFM blower is too much.

Thanks, I was more or less concerned that the "standard" blower would be too much for such a small pit even with scaling. I was just curious if anyone is using this combo and what kind of results they are getting. Thanks again!

the standard blower will run from 5 to over 12VDC, the HM is perfectly capable of scaling the power down on this blower to manage a smaller pit just fine. Having a blower that is a little large isn't really a problem unless it is TOO large... If you had say a 25CFM blower you could even scale that down to run a small pit, except every time the HM starts up the blower it will give it a little boost start and if your blower is REALLY large like 25CFM that momentary boost of air can cause some issues.... but you wont have that problem with the stock blower, it's small enough to have a very soft start.

I have a 11 or 11.5 CFM blower I think that I pulled from a PSU. Maybe I will try that first before I go out and buy a new blower. Cheers!

Is it a fan or a blower? Most of the time I see fans in power supplies, fans don't push air through a restricted area nearly as well as a blower will... Also, fans generally have much larger openings to allow convection air flow through which will allow lots of overshoot. So, bottom line, you're much better off with a blower than a fan, particularly if you are not using a servo damper of any kind to control overshoot.

That said, the HM can work with such a wide variety of hardware due to the flexibility of the setup, so I encourage you to experiment with your setup and try out a free fan/blower if you have one laying around.

Last edited:
Is it a fan or a blower? Most of the time I see fans in power supplies, fans don't push air through a restricted area nearly as well as a blower will... Also, fans generally have much larger openings to allow convection air flow through which will allow lots of overshoot. So, bottom line, you're much better off with a blower than a fan, particularly if you are not using a servo damper of any kind to control overshoot.

That said, the HM can work with such a wide variety of hardware due to the flexibility of the setup, so I encourage you to experiment with your setup and try out a free fan/blower if you have one laying around.

No its a blower; the first Ive seen in a power supply as well.

OK, I would say give it a shot.... Being a blower rated at about 11CFM it is nearing twice the air movement as the stock HM blower, so you are moving towards the scenario where the size of the blower may cause problems on a small grill.

Some blowers will run on a wide range of voltage, others need the voltage to be more specific and wont start up until the voltage is up there at the required level (while the stock HM blower is rated as 12VDC blower it will start up at about 5VDC) So it depends a bit on the blower whether it will work well or not....

...but it's pretty simple to test it out to see how it will work. Just hook it up and then take your HM from 0% to 1%, you should see/feel the HM do the boost start on the blower, as it starts up strong and then settles back down to 1%. If the burst of air is not too large during the boost and the blower is able to run at a trickle pace at 1% or so you should be good to go. If the blower shoots a huge blast of air during the boost and then stalls when it backs down to 1% it might be more trouble than it is worth messing with. The stock HM blower can be had from Arrow electronics for about $8 bucks, so were not talking high finance here....

Back