Blower acting weird when alarm sounds

Peter F

TVWBB Fan
I noticed some strange blower behavior when the alarm goes off. As soon as the alarm sounds and the backlight starts to flicker the fan also pulses on and off at full speed even when the fan output is between 10 and 20%. I have checked this with some of the other HM4.1 that I've build and all have the same behavior. Any idea what is causing this?

The backlight pulsing is by design but the blower turning on and off shouldn't be happening. I'll take a look into it.

I can confirm this is definitely a regression in the HeaterMeter avr firmware causing the blower to go all crazy while the alarm is ringing. I will work on a fix, but it might not be until this weekend.

Yup, it is definitely a software problem so you'd see it on all HeaterMeter boards including the 3.x series. The reason is because the blower and the tone generation share the same internal timer. When the tone starts, it reconfigures the timer which messes with the blower. I fixed it a year ago but forgot about the interaction when I implemented simultaneous fan+blower mode.

Just to check in I'm still working on this. I'm trying to work it in with some other changes so it is taking a bit longer than I planned.

Try updating your firmware to the latest snapshot (LinkMeter -> AVR Firmware -> Online Repository -> snapshots/trunk/heatermeter.hex) and see if that fixes the issue.

Thanks for the update Bryan.

I'm in Thailand for work at the moment, so I can't check the software yet, but when I get home I will test it ASAP.

Back