Black Residue on Food

Mike Purnell

TVWBB Pro
Weird thing happened to me for the first time while cooking some ribs. About 1/2 way through the cook I had a peak inside and noticed a black liquid residue on the ribs. Any clue what this is and why it could have happened?

Minion with Royal Oak briquettes
Water in pan
Apple wood chunks
temp around 250-270

Did you have a grease flare up or some wood burning? Probably soot mixed with the juice from the ribs.

I don't believe there was ever a flare up, the temp never spiked during the cook. Possibly some wood burning b/c I don't usually soak the chunks before I use them.

That's interesting. Take it the ribs were laying down flat (not in a rib rack)?

I'd imagine it was the juice from the meat mixing with of the wood burning. Did the wood have bark on it?

Yes, they were laying flat on the top grate. I used Weber apple wood chunks. I think a few pieces might have had bark but if so it would have been very little.

Was your top vent open? My first guess would be creosote mixing with the rib juice.

Or, if your ribs were on the bottom rack, leftover grease from the top dripping down?

ribs were on the top rack and top vent was wide open the entire cook. My thought is that is was creosote too but not sure why this would happen with the vents open wide.

Mike,

Is there build up on the inside walls?

To test for creosote during a cook, put a clear glass of ice water over the top vent in the smoke coming out. It will start to "sweat". The sweat should be clear- like water. If there forms brown or black spots on the glass, you have creosote; brush down the inside thoroughly.

I will check once it stops raining. I've only ever cleaning the water pan and the grates so maybe there's too much buildup inside on the walls or in the lid?

I'm happy you posted this Mike. I've been having trouble with my ribs going too dark and I think it's hurt me in presenation scores. Seeing a 6 for appearance and then getting 9 for taste and tenderness hurts...alot. I've cut back on the amount of pure chili in the rub. I tend to roll my ribs so they cook more evenly (until that 22 gets delivered tomorrow!) I noticed black liquid on the ends of the ribs standing up. I need to do the creosote check Matt mentioned. Can't wait to see the responses....

I didn't really notice any major buildup inside that looks concerning. Maybe it might be easiest to take the water pan out, dump a chimney full of lit in and let it burn out whatever nasty residue that's causing havoc. Any thoughts on this?

This happened a few weeks back.....I just realized I used an empty pan with no foil. Would the juices & fat from the ribs dripping into the hot pan create this residue? Burnt fat and/or rib juice smoke if that makes any sense?

You can take a piece of wadded up aluminum foil & brush out the lid to remove quite a bit of residue from there.

If you are using a water pan and there is buildup on the inside of the lid, that may be mixing with the steam from the water pan causing the black droplets on your cooks. Have you tried a cook using a foiled, empty pan or a terra cotta plant saucer instead of water? That may solve the problem also.

Was there any liquid/fat left in the empty water pan after your cook? I would think that the pan without foil, water, etc. would be hot enough to vaporize any drippings, but maybe not.

Originally posted by Mike Purnell:
not really, the pan was pretty dry after the cook.

I think you nailed it. The grease dripping in the empty pan would definitely burn off and give you a black film. Just like chicken getting flamed on a hot grill.

Mike you need to clean your lid from time to time. Should fix your problems on future cooks.

Well, I think the empty hot pan was the culprit here. I will continue to foil the pan in future and give the lid a quick rub with a ball of foil. That should hopefully do the trick.

Ooooh oooh I'm pretty sure my issues with dark ribs came after I gave up water. I run with a clay saucer filled with sand. I never worried about an air gap and the juices from my butt cook this weekend were pretty burnt. I'll make sure there's an air gap next time. Thanks!!

Back