Black Maple

Dan Allen

TVWBB Super Fan
I mentioned in another thread that a friend of mine has maple trees on his property and had asked if he had any branches and such lying around. His house flooded a couple of weeks back so he hasn't been home while repairs are done.

He stopped by tonight with a couple of logs. He went by his house to check progress and joy of joys, the guy across the street cut down one of his trees a few days ago.

The guy told him they're black maple (leaves and everything had already been taken away by the cutting service so I can't really verify).

I checked a couple of tree websites and they all say black maple is similar to sugar maple and some even call it a sub-species.

This stuff is ok for bbq-ing right? After being chopped and seasoned of course. This is my first experience with wood that doesn't come out of a bag so I want to make sure it's ok.
icon_biggrin.gif

Dan, I'd try it too. If nothing else, cut it, plit it, dry it, and the take it for a test burn with your charcoal of choice and no meat. If it doesn't smell right, you're out nothing.
HMaster

Back