Black Bear Roast

Dan C. (Trooper69)

TVWBB Member
Has anyone ever smoked a Black Bear Roast low and slow? What temp do I bring it to and can it be pulled like a pork butt? I know it has to reach at least 165* to ensure trichinosis is gone from the meat. Does it need added fat like a bacon weave laid over it and what would be a good wood to use for the smoke? Please help, I'm dieing to smoke me some Bear!!! :wsm:

Well Trooper, your post finally got me to register here at VWBB! Been a lurker for the last 8 months, ever since I bought my 22" WSM... Have learned tons here on the site, but the bear post got me to join!

I have cooked many bear roasts and smoked several as well. Even though many compare bear to pork, I would put it more like beef in both cooking methods and even flavor, although a little sweeter than beef. I would smoke it in the same way that you would a beef chuck roast 250-275ish. You will not need to layer with bacon as there should be plenty of fat in it, although you may want to cook it in a foil pan and cover with foil after a couple hours, then cook until fork tender.

You will enjoy it. The first bear roast I cooked, I failed to tell my wife what it was before she started eating it. She said that it was the best roast that I've ever made, then I told her. Said I can go bear hunting anytime I like...

Well Trooper, your post finally got me to register here at VWBB! Been a lurker for the last 8 months, ever since I bought my 22" WSM... Have learned tons here on the site, but the bear post got me to join!

I have cooked many bear roasts and smoked several as well. Even though many compare bear to pork, I would put it more like beef in both cooking methods and even flavor, although a little sweeter than beef. I would smoke it in the same way that you would a beef chuck roast 250-275ish. You will not need to layer with bacon as there should be plenty of fat in it, although you may want to cook it in a foil pan and cover with foil after a couple hours, then cook until fork tender.

You will enjoy it. The first bear roast I cooked, I failed to tell my wife what it was before she started eating it. She said that it was the best roast that I've ever made, then I told her. Said I can go bear hunting anytime I like...

Scott, welcome aboard. I'm glad my post inspired you to pull the trigger and join. Awesome people and tons of knowledge here, you won't be disappointed. I have a couple bear hunts under my belt and have made lots of sausage and did a lot of grilling with the meat but haven't gotten around to smoking any yet. You gave me the info I was looking for to go ahead and give it a shot now, thanks! Ended up making dinner plans this coming weekend but it's definitely on for the following weekend. I'll be sure to give an update and post pics right after the cook. Any suggestions for a rub?

Last one I did I used the beef yum yum seasoning rub I found here, one of my favorites for beef and worked great with the bear. I myself would stay away from anything too sweet for bear, but each has his own taste. Wish I had some in the freezer now!

Yum Yum Steak Seasoning
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4 Tablespoons non-iodized table salt
2 Tablespoons paprika
1 Tablespoon black pepper, coarsely ground
1-1/2 teaspoons onion powder 1-1/2 teaspoons granulated garlic powder
1-1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly. Makes about 1/2 cup.

I've only taken one bear ( a medium size black bear in Canada). That has been many years ago and before I started smoking so I cannot add anything about technique to what has been listed above. However, I would like to second the notion that it is FAR more like beef than pork. We cooked and ate nearly everything except the toe nails, and even the kids enjoyed it. In fact, the ground meat made great chili soup as it doesn't cook to mush like most ground beef. It retained it's texture and that made for an even better chili soup than ground beef.

I predict that you'll enjoy it thoroughly.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Last one I did I used the beef yum yum seasoning rub I found here, one of my favorites for beef and worked great with the bear. I myself would stay away from anything too sweet for bear, but each has his own taste. Wish I had some in the freezer now!

Yum Yum Steak Seasoning
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4 Tablespoons non-iodized table salt
2 Tablespoons paprika
1 Tablespoon black pepper, coarsely ground
1-1/2 teaspoons onion powder 1-1/2 teaspoons granulated garlic powder
1-1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly. Makes about 1/2 cup.

Thanks, the Yum Yum Steak Seasoning looks pretty good. Already have the cook set up for next Sunday. Got some hunting buddies coming by to help test out the product and indulge in many beers. Hope I remember to take pics. :wsm:

I've only taken one bear ( a medium size black bear in Canada). That has been many years ago and before I started smoking so I cannot add anything about technique to what has been listed above. However, I would like to second the notion that it is FAR more like beef than pork. We cooked and ate nearly everything except the toe nails, and even the kids enjoyed it. In fact, the ground meat made great chili soup as it doesn't cook to mush like most ground beef. It retained it's texture and that made for an even better chili soup than ground beef.

I predict that you'll enjoy it thoroughly.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Your absolutely right, it is definitely very tasty. My wife lets me go on a bear hunt every year now just to keep some in the freezer. Everyone here enjoys it even our 2 year old son. Up till now I have only grilled it, made sausage and a meatloaf and all were devoured quickly. Gonna have to give the chili a try after the roast.

Back