Bison skirt steak

Shamus

Flank is one of my favorites to grill when I have folks over for boxing, so when I was putting in a big exotic meat order, I wanted to throw one in the order. They were out of flank, and the people there recommended that I go with skirt, suggesting a little more marinade time on a recipe they had on the site for flank.

I'd never cooked a skirt steak, beef or otherwise, and I didn't find it in the index of The complete meat cookbook, and my copy of all about meat was on loan.

So I winged it.

I made a marinade with balsamic, olive oil, frank's red hot, and a little cumin.

I then spent a good half hour cleaning up the skirt steaks. There was a lot of membrane on them that was reminiscent of what you pull off of ribs, except it was even harder to pull off intact. There were also some pockets of hard fat that needed to be snipped off. a bit of a pain, but there are worse things to do than handle meat.

The strips were long, so I cut them into thirds of 5-6". They marinated in a ziploc for 2 hours, the last hour of which was at room temp.

I fired up the kettle with a full chimney, and planned to do it three minutes to a side, but that actually was a bit too much time, and the pieces in the middle came out medium. Those slightly off center to the hot spot were medium rare.

After the rest, I cut off the end and popped it into my mouth. Chewy. So I sliced the rest of it very thin.

As it turns out, I'd cut off the thinnest part of one of the most cooked steaks, so the chewiness wasn't a big problem with the majority of the meat.

The biggest problem was that the balsamic flavor was a bit overwhelming. The bison still came through, but it was too much balsamic flavor.

If I did it again, I'd swap out balsamic for red wine vinegar or think about a different approach to the marinade alltogether.

Still, not bad for a first attempt, and having only ever cooked bison rib eye or a bison and beef burger. I'd probably go back to flank if they have it the next time I order, but I certainly wouldn't mind tackling skirt again.

Sorry, guys, I should have posted that in grilling. I thought I was in that forum, but I'm an idiot.

I'd also like to say that I ate some of it raw, and I seriously have to try bison carpaccio.

Being from Argentina, no marinade on beef for me, just salt and pepper. But I did try Alton's recipe for skirt steak and other than placing the meat directly on the coals it's a winner.

Good show, Shamus.

If going for a longer marinating time be sure to balance non-acids to acids so as not to 'cook' the meat proteins from a long time in the marinade.

Another you might like I made the other day for lamb and posted here.

I did skirt steak on the grill 2 weeks ago. I juiced 12 limes into a zip lock and allowed the steak to marinate in the fridge for about 45 minutes. Patted it dry and put a dry rub of pepper, salt, cumin, garlic and cilantro.

Tasted wonderful.

Probably a silly question, but I wonder if you cut that steak against the grain...usually with the grain causes it to be a bit tougher.

Skirt steak is what I use for Carne Asada. Out here in Calif it is called skirt steak, flap meat, ranchera, or assachera. Citrus, lime, garlic, onion, cilantro all go well with this. Grill it on high/medium heat for only a few minutes, serve with some tortillas and hot sauce. Cut against the grain.

Yes I also do the Alton Brown marinade (minus the coals) and it comes out great..great rave reviews every time I make it. Of course I give all the credit to Alton.

Back