Birthday Shredded Beef Chuck Roast

Travis Maddox

Today is my sons 4th b-day so we are going to have some friends/relatives over. I decided I needed to feed about 8-12 people so I went and picked up a 5lb chuck roast. Usually I would go to Paradise Meat Locker however I was in somewhat of a rush, so just went to my local HyVee grocery store. All they had was "Angus Reserve" which is basically their "close to choice" cuts. I paid 5.99lb, however it looks pretty awesome despite the USDA label.

Made a simple rub with pepper, salt, cayenne and some garlic powder. I didn't have time to marinate it over night, so it just sat out for about an hour with the rub on it. I actually bought a roast yesterday, and didn't notice until I came home it was the wrong cut and didn't feel like going back to the store that night.

Put it on the smoker right at noon CST at a temp of 225.

Smoking it with 2 chunks of mesquite using the minion method.

It has been almost 2 hours and I've been sitting right at 250, with the vents at about 50/50/75.

After 3 hours it is time to flip the beef, cover with foil, and throw back on the smoker till its ready! The amount of juices coming off this thing is really nice, should make for a really great sauce.

Still sitting right at 250 with the vents now at 100/75/75. Sometimes I have to open it back up to get the minion charcoal to start going a bit more.

Last edited:
Pulled it off at 5:45 and let it rest of the typical 30 then strained the juice and prepared for shredding.

Mixed the juice with local Arthur Bryant Sweet Heat sauce and combined it with the beef.

Everyone enjoyed it, turned out awesome!

Back