Binchotan Japanese Charcoal

ChadRex

TVWBB Super Fan
Well I have been looking all over my area for a decent Lump charcoal: that burns long time with little to no ash.

My Top options are based on recommendations and reviews at nakedwhiz.com
#1 Japanese Binchotan:
#2 Coconut Charcoal: great option pleasant odor no little to no ash, no smoke wood flavor
  • KomodoKamado Sustainable Coconut
  • Charcos

I am disappointing at the limited options available in my area;
Home Depot/Lowes even Costco carries Cowboy & Stubs both packaged by Cowboy known to ship with gravel, plywood pieces and what ever makes it into the bag.
BBQ Galore sells the GreenEgg brand and their own branded. Not too impressive reviews

I have looked all over for highly recommended Wicked Good Weekend Warrior , Royal Oak, or Ono Charcoal which i remember from Hawaii.. no luck.

Charcos is not easily available either.

I have gotten in contact with KK Coco and they will drop ship Minimum 5 boxes at their Carson Warehouse.. = Promising but expensive

I know the best lump is the Japanese Binchotan... and I have looked all over the local Japanese and asian markets in my area, I live near a highly Japanese populated area of Los Angeles, County... even the Japanese markets ( Marukai, Nijiya, Mistuwa) do not have impressive options.

In my search for Japanese grill shichirin..Nori-sans shop came up and I recalled how nice a place it was.
I bought some knives and japanese pull saws from him years ago.. never even knew about binchotan then..

After talking to my wife, we decided to venture to Anzen Hardware Anzen Hardware- located in historic Little Tokyo of Los Angeles ..Privatly owned by Nori Takatani "Nori-San"
I was able to get Japanese Binchotan charcoal.. :cool:

20130719_205113-vi.jpg

It is quite expensive at $5.00/lb however well worth it, can be used multiple cooks if done correctly. Nori's service alone made it worth the cost. he generously hand picked th ebest pieces even gave 1/4# extra , the quality is top notch and shipped from Japan.
Nori is the most humble generous business owner, I called him while fighting my way through LA Traffic and although he was closing at 5:30p he not only waited for me before closing, he had all the things sitting out ready for me when I arrived. He even blocked off a space right in front of his shop for me to park!!! He knew exactly what I wanted and explained the details of how properly to light binchotan and the best way to preserve it after cooking with it.

The Binchotan I bought today is very different than lump, it is harder (actually makes a clinging glass like sound when knocking the pieces together.) I cant wait to see how it burns...

I also picked up a takoyaki griddle,
takoyaki_grill1.jpg

it was a bit over priced at his shop but the service made it well worth supporting small business owners like Nori.

I will fire the grill up tomorrow night and post picks later.. Cant wait!!!!

Last edited:
I've been making a good bit of my own charcoal surprising I think. I place several smoking chunks of hickory on my grill when I'm doing burgers and all of them turn to what appears to be charcoal since they are only partially combusted. I throw them back in my chimney for a second lighting and they turn red hot just like the Royal Oak and I using with it. Maybe I am wrong here though. $5.00 a pound is a bit much though. As much as I grill, I would be broke quite literally in a matter of weeks.

I have the same takoyaki pan and haven't used it yet. Right around the same time I finally got a gas range that it would work on (I had electric for a long time), an izakaya opened up and they make a mean takoyaki.

Binchotan is used with a small hibachi to produce flavorless, high heat. I've been curious to try it out, but the only place I've found it is in NYC. It's pricey and I can't justify carrying it around with me all day in NYC

Yes $5.00/ lb is expensive however the stuff is meant to be re-used as it burns long if properly stored after cooking can be used many time over..

I will try it this weekend and let everyone know how it turns out..

Cool story and interesting product. Like the others I cant imagine paying $5/lb for charcoal, but I'm quite interested to hear how this stuff burns differently from regular lump charcoal.

I would love to do a blind taste test with meat cooked over this stuff and regular old Kingsford Blue. I am willing to bet nobody could tell a difference.

Glad you found what you were looking for, that is just too far out there for me.

You should really try the wicked good from online. Very little ash and burns slow. Looking forward to some pics from this coal.

I too am interested on how this turns out. Maybe you could pick up a bag of Ozark Oak for a comparison. Cheapest in stock I could find right now is $16 for a 10lb bag including shipping @ http://www.firecraft.com/product/ozark-oak-lump-charcoal/charcoal-wood At $1.60 a lb., may be worth a shot. Used it before and it's the best lump I've found so far. I haven't tried the BGE or Wicked Good yet though.
Chris, Ozarks on my list as its supposed to be really good. If you have an Ace Hardware you can order the WG online and have it shipped free to Ace.

$5.00 a pound? Nope I think i'll stick with my 9.99 40lb sale Kingsford. Hope it worked out great for you though. I think i'd be sleeping under my weber cover if my wife found out I spent that much for charcoal no matter how long it lasts.

Chris, Ozarks on my list as its supposed to be really good. If you have an Ace Hardware you can order the WG online and have it shipped free to Ace.

I think you'll find it quite impressive in quality, low ash production, and great heat generation. I use it and love it for grilling, as well as most low and slow cooks. The only thing I like better than it for L-n-S cooks is Wicked Good briquettes, and that's ONLY because the briquettes have such low ash production that it makes for great competition cooks, and the briquettes pack well.

I used Kingsford blue one time (for L-n-S...it works fine if it can be allowed to ash over for high heat) and it ruined my entries due to the off flavors that I got because they fire off at lower temps and don't burn down prior to their being closed up in the chamber. Just my experience, and I'm well aware many people use it and love it (perhaps they couldn't be swayed by the massive sales at Home Depot and Lowe's? ;-p ).

You should try Coshell too (coconut briquettes). I have found 9 pound bags at True Value for $6/ bag. Gets hot, burns long, and no really no ash.

I think you'll find it quite impressive in quality, low ash production, and great heat generation. I use it and love it for grilling, as well as most low and slow cooks. The only thing I like better than it for L-n-S cooks is Wicked Good briquettes, and that's ONLY because the briquettes have such low ash production that it makes for great competition cooks, and the briquettes pack well.

I used Kingsford blue one time (for L-n-S...it works fine if it can be allowed to ash over for high heat) and it ruined my entries due to the off flavors that I got because they fire off at lower temps and don't burn down prior to their being closed up in the chamber. Just my experience, and I'm well aware many people use it and love it (perhaps they couldn't be swayed by the massive sales at Home Depot and Lowe's? ;-p ).
Thanks Randy. Think I'll order some.

Back