Big Horn Pellet Pizza Oven

DanHoo

TVWBB Olympian
After reading the review that @Ed P wrote about his new pizza oven, I thought I should post a short review of this pellet fired pizza grill. I bought it about a month ago.

TL;DR - good thing Amazon has an easy return policy.

The good:

It was low cost. $199 plus tax.
It seemed fairly well built.
It was well packed.

I experimented with it for three evenings, burnt a few things, tried different pellets.

In short, I decided using this would frustrate me into not wanting to cook pizza.

It smoked like crazy. Once it got the fire rolling it lasted for about 10 mins, then the pellets ran out and adding more caused it to smoke like crazy.

It took 35 mins and a reload of pellets to get the stone over 750F

I'll add a few pics, and maybe some notes, however I decided that it just wasn't for me.

20220404_192557.jpg

20220404_190517.jpg

20220403_211908.jpg

here is the link, but I do not recommend buying.

Last edited:
I am amazed at how many pizza ovens there are in the market these days! Just following that Amazon link you posted brought up quite a few that I've never seen before. But then if you just look around, there are pizza restaurants seemingly everywhere...pizza is probably one of America's favorite foods.

It is surprising how much flame you can get out of a handful of pellets! Beautiful photography as always, Dan. You'd sure need to be mindful of your clearances when you fire this one up, wouldn't you?

Last edited:
Bummer that didn't work out, Dan! My neighbor had one of the early Ooni ovens that was fired by pellets. While we managed to figure out how to make some decent pies in it after a lot of trial and error, that thing was a PAIN! Constant fiddling with the pellets, refilling, temp inconsistencies, etc. He ended up buying the $90 gas burner for it. I thought my Kettle Pizza on a kettle was WAY easier, and produced better pies.

One of my other neighbors has the Ooni Koda 16, and that is a kick *** oven (gas only, though, and SPENDY!)

Bummer that didn't work out, Dan! My neighbor had one of the early Ooni ovens that was fired by pellets. While we managed to figure out how to make some decent pies in it after a lot of trial and error, that thing was a PAIN! Constant fiddling with the pellets, refilling, temp inconsistencies, etc. He ended up buying the $90 gas burner for it. I thought my Kettle Pizza on a kettle was WAY easier, and produced better pies.

One of my other neighbors has the Ooni Koda 16, and that is a kick *** oven (gas only, though, and SPENDY!)
None of this stuff is cheap! Pellet poopers, pizza ovens, Performers, kettles, gassers, accessories, oh my! And then we hang out with a bunch of other crazies with the same interests...the old saying "If you hang around the barber shop long enough, you're gonna get a haircut" very much applies here.

Enhanced Retail Tracking Service information from NPD reveals that consumers spent more than $4.9 billion on grills, smokers, camping stoves, accessories, and fuel in 2020.

Yup, spendy...we're all in the same boat here, methinks. Shrewd investment when we do it, spendy when our neighbor does. And I'm not being critical, just looking in the mirror. You can't take it with you and you can't leave it all for the kids...might as well enjoy some of it.

Last edited:
None of this stuff is cheap! Pellet poopers, pizza ovens, Performers, kettles, gassers, accessories, oh my! And then we hang out with a bunch of other crazies with the same interests...the old saying "If you hang around the barber shop long enough, you're gonna get a haircut" very much applies here.

Enhanced Retail Tracking Service information from NPD reveals that consumers spent more than $4.9 billion on grills, smokers, camping stoves, accessories, and fuel in 2020.

Yup, spendy...we're all in the same boat here, methinks. Shrewd investment when we do it, spendy when our neighbor does. And I'm not being critical, just looking in the mirror. You can't take it with you and you can't leave it all for the kids...might as well enjoy some of it.
I’ve contributed my share to 4.9 billion.

Yeah, besides being a hassle, I'm not sure I could use this in good conscience during the summer when its full-on fire season around me.

There was a breeze one of the nights I fired it up, and depending on how I turned the pizza oven, it had a direct effect on the fire. If the wind was blowing into the back, it really got going and along with flames, there was an occasional spark. If I turned it 180 degrees, the flame died down. I think the slight vacuum on the backside took some air away from the fire and the fire out the chimney stopped after a minute or so.

Having the grill sideways to the breeze worked OK, but opening the door blew stuff around. I'd say it was a light wind 10 to 15 mph.

I've had the BGE at 750+ and never had flames or sparks coming out.

The E6 was way over 700 without any flames or sparks coming out.

Yeah, besides being a hassle, I'm not sure I could use this in good conscience during the summer when its full-on fire season around me.

There was a breeze one of the nights I fired it up, and depending on how I turned the pizza oven, it had a direct effect on the fire. If the wind was blowing into the back, it really got going and along with flames, there was an occasional spark. If I turned it 180 degrees, the flame died down. I think the slight vacuum on the backside took some air away from the fire and the fire out the chimney stopped after a minute or so.

Having the grill sideways to the breeze worked OK, but opening the door blew stuff around. I'd say it was a light wind 10 to 15 mph.

I've had the BGE at 750+ and never had flames or sparks coming out.

The E6 was way over 700 without any flames or sparks coming out.
Yes, cooking outdoors can be risky when things are so dried out.

Back