Big Green Egg

Wow!
icon_eek.gif

That grill doesn't nearly look that big on the website. The pics do a nice job of adding some scale to things, great family shots also. Glad to hear they are "taking care" of you regarding the damage. Good luck with your new one

Glad to hear Primo is going to send u a new one Wolgast! Inspect it all before the gentlemen leaves, Wolgast what's the warranty on them cookers?

Anthony, the Primo is much more flexible as others have noted!

Wolgast, glad they are taking care of you!

Noe, the ceramic parts are covered for 20 years and the metal parts are covered for 5 years.

Thanks Glenn, the warranty use to be lifetime on all ceramic parts, i was talking to a dealer in the Corpus Christi, Tx area about 1 yr ago when i was lurking the ceramic cookers, what the gentlemen told me that the cookers work great but will crack regardless of what you do, he also said the higher temp at extended times will crack the cooker, he recommended to me that if i did purchase one try to not go over 550 if all possible, he said the HH puts a lot of stress on the cookers, he also said they have had a lot of return's due to cracks in the ceramic, he also said he did not think the cracks would affect the cooking but was not 100% sure, i told him i would think about purchasing one but would call him back and let him know since he would have to order it, 3 days later i called back and told him thanks for answering all my questions honestly but at the time i was going to pass on the cooker.

A lot of times the "cracks" that folks refer to is actually called "crazing" and is natural over time on ceramics.

However if one goes crazy with super hot temps they can risk cracking. I haven't found a need to go above 450ish for searing or pizza. When the grates are in the lowest position and the lump is hot that is where the magic is done for searing, not when the whole grill is super hot.

We do our Pizzas at 400-450 because we like thick crust and lots of toppings so the moderate temps work better.

A lot of new ceramic users are attracted to the 700-1000 deg cooks and they usually mess up before they learn what, when and how to utilize the features.

Yeah i agree Glenn i do not see any reason to cook something above 500 in all honestly. The gentlemen did say stay under 550 and everything should be fine which i agree. Could sure use a pizza rite now lol.

I decided to stick with my Performer and try the brick method for smoking, those big boys just look to heavy for me to move around. Will look for a WSM on Craigslit to add to the arsenal. Thanks for all the input guys.

Anthony

Anthony,

I think you made a wise choice. I've never been a big fan of the BGE or other ceramics.

I cooked for a few years on an offset and studied for awhile before I got my WSM. In short, money well spent. Advice, get the 18. My 22 is freaking huge and I rarely use it to capacity. In fact, I've started doing cooks for friends and family just to fill it up and justify the cost of fuel.

Regards,

JKC

Back