Big Green Egg

Anthony W.

TVWBB Fan
Hey guys,

Might like to give myself a gift and was wondering how does the above stand up to the Performer. The obvious is no storage,no starter and no rotis, but I would imagine its great as a smoker. My concern is how does it grill a kabob or steak, always covered or not. Please advise and as its pricey investement.

Anthony

Anthony - I have a Kamado Joe (ceramic grill, same size as the BGE large) as well as a Small and mini BGE.

They are excellent cookers, and do double duty as a smoker and grill.

One thing the Performer does better than the BGE is give you the ability to build and use a two-zone fire. Because of the construction of the BGE, doing a cook that combines direct and indirect cooking methods is a challenge and requires some creativity, but it can be done.

The BGE does a good a job of cooking everything you throw at it as the skill of the cook allows. There is a learning curve to the BGE and it takes a few cooks to learn how to dial in the various cooking temperatures, but I have not been disappointed for a moment with any of my ceramic cookers.

I have a Performer and I use both the BGEs, the Kamado Joe and my Performer, as well as my WSM, but then again, I cook outside a LOT.

I don't think you will be disappointed in your investment.

Pat

Well..i just ordered a ceramic myself(will be delivered tomorrow)

Pat Smith: "One thing the Performer does better than the BGE is give you the ability to build and use a two-zone fire."

I did go with a Primo Oval Xl,just to get the 2-zone. Have read alot about ceramics lately. And i think the Primo will fit me perfect.

Can't wait to see pics Daniel and advice. I just picked up an old Sazco yesterday and gonna be tinkering with it in the upcoming weeks.

As to the original question, don't have an answer yet
icon_rolleyes.gif

But I think they can all be fun to cook on!!

Wolgast and George, I hear ya on the XL Oval. My Kamado Joe was a gift from a client, but my goal is to trade up to the Primo XL Oval, for the reasons both of you express.

Pat

Well got it today. Wont cook on it today but here is some pics.

What a huge beauty! And to the right my new Primo
icon_wink.gif

Tomorrow's dinner,A tough peice of meat i guess 12h+.(firebox is not inside the unit)

Looking forward to cook on this one. But i guess i will wait a week or 2(have not build a table yet) Timothy Hoffman helped me alot with the weber built in.

Untill next time - Stay safe!

Originally posted by Wolgast:
Well got it today. Wont cook on it today but here is some pics.

What a huge beauty! And to the right my new Primo
icon_wink.gif

No fair...

...I've always wanted a blue towel for my grill/girl to sit on.
icon_wink.gif

Tim once again thaks for the help.

I have that link already. And i have the plans for a Primo oval xl table...But i wanna make a table were my Weber kettle and the Primo is side by side.

Makes the perfect outdoor kitchen i guess...And the WSM right next to the table.

But i found a crack in the coating of the Primo. And i mailed the dealer..So lets se what´s happen in the future. Pic of the crack:

And you can se how the "Primo workers" Tryed to mask the split with paint...Wont work! I Make Super Cars ready for the paint jobb as a work!

I Know quality..and i dont think thats a high standard. Cooking wise sure i wont make a difference.

But that doesent matter if i by a "high end" product i wanna damge it myself!

Get an Aston Martin and you know what im talking about.(or a Weber)

I really like the Primo XL oval and now I know it can fit two boys in it. I am sorry to see the crack, but I am sure they will replace it and you and Emilie will cook some amazing dishes with it. I can't wait! Please keep us posted and thanks again Daniel.

Anthony,
As Pat stated you really don't get two zone heat but can be done. I have a BGE and performer that I grill on. Both do great jobs. It all depends on how you want to grill. When you want sear then indirect fire up the performer, when it doesn't matter fire up the BGE. I have done everything from low and slow to HH on the BGE. I have never been dissappointed either way. One thing I would suggest getting right away for the BGE is a cast iron grate. You will be glad you did.

Congratulations on the new cooker. Hope Primo stand behind their products like Weber does. Great family shots too.

Haha, I was gonna say what George said but wasn't sure I should. Better hope she doesn't read that!
icon_smile.gif

What an amazing looking "thing". I've never seen anything like it!

I agree with you on the crack. If I'm paying top dollar I wanna be the one to damage it!

Best of luck with it

Unacceptable Daniel, if the company tells u to send it back i would mark it somewhere to make sure they do not send me the same one back repaired, that crack looks more than just the coating, will only get worse, probably would not affect the cooking but u never know. Just knowing the company tried to cover the crack up tells me all i need to know about the company, send it back and get your money before it's to late.

Originally posted by Wolgast:
Tomorrow's dinner,A tough peice of meat i guess 12h+.(firebox is not inside the unit)
So ... any concern that the smaller one will be ready sooner than the larger one?
icon_wink.gif

Ok contacted my Primo dealer and sent him a few pics. He will send a car to pick it up on monday. And at the same time he will send a new unit from his store.(that he checks himself before shipping)

He said he would add some "gifts" to make up for the trouble and the extra waiting. I will get it before next weekend.

So not really any harm done. But what is weird just like Noe said is that Primo have spotted the crack and tryed to fix it and sent it my way. Maby should have gone with an Asian made unit,You Americans dont have the feel for quality
icon_wink.gif

A well now i just have to wait for the new unit.

Travis:Well i thought about it. But dont let the picture fool you he weights 30lb(with wet hair)

Back