Big Butt First attempt at Pic

Joe Stout

TVWBB Member
Finally have my rub the way I like it and put it on a 10.5lb butt this morning. This is only my second time cooking a butt, I usually do ribs and chucks. Temp seems to have settled in at 265. Bottom are fully closed top but it's a tad breezy. Hopefully here is a pic of the butt before putting it on. If this works I'll post a pic of the finished product.

Rubbed and Ready

IMO, keep the top vent open. If closed to start with the bottoms vents also closed, you'll feel good about your temp in the beginning (maybe) but the fire won't maintain necessary heat as you go along. 265 cooks great butts. Consider opening up at least one bottom vent for airflow, even if just 10%. A little breeze won't hamper you in the least. I wouldn't concern myself with it.

My first cook on the WSM was last Sunday. I did two 7 lb butts and the temp ran close to 265. They cooked faster than I expected but came out great. One thing I read on this forum is that the important thing is to take the meat off when it tests done, meaning tender. What temp you use to get there isn't a big deal. At least that's what I think I read and it jibes with what I've experienced in my less than one year smoking meat.

I to often run my 18wsm with all three bottom vents closed. I know mine leaks a bit from the vents, door and center section. I often reduce the amount that my exhaust is open to help lower my temps some and its been working great. I always make sure to keep it at least 50% open and always watch how much lit fuel I start with. HTH Vince

Back