Big Beef

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ted Booth

I was out tonight at the Supermarket. One thing I noted was that the pork shoulder I bought last weekend for 79 cents per lb. was mismarked a dollar a pound low. Glad I was there to take advantage however. But I was perusing the beef aisle and had brisket in mind. I haven't paid them much mind over the years. They are much smaller than I remembered. That got me to wondering about the feasiblility of smoking a whole top sirloin. They average 10-12lbs. They aren't bad sliced thick and cooked as a steak, then thin-sliced on the platter. But I wondered if anyone has tried smoking a whole one and if so, what was the result? There is usually a nice piece of fat on the top to baste it over the long haul and the grain structure would seem ideal. Even so, I'm partial to rare beef most of the time and would hate to think I spent $25-$35 on something my dog would enjoy more than me. Anyone?

I don't have any experience with this cut of beef, other than grilling it as steaks. I would guess that you could smoke it to an internal temp if 135-140 for medium rare, allow to rest about 15-20 minutes, and then slice away. But I think this cut of beef is best done as steaks.

The main reason behind why brisket is done the way it is done is because it's a "low quality" cut of beef. Low and slow is the only way to make it turn out good.

Ask the meat cutter about getting a large whole brisket and see what they can do. If your local supermarket can't help you, look elsewhere. Whole briskets are out there, you may just have to look around.

Jason,
I'll look around for a whole brisket. There is one really good butcher shop in town but you pay through the nose for everything there.

It seems these days most supermarkets don't get in whole beef carcasses anymore. They buy case boxes with primal cuts in cry-o-vac bags. And brisket isn't on the everyday shopping list of most consumers so what the markets often buy are the smaller, portioned-out cuts of brisket.

As for the whole sirloin, I was thinking that since it isn't all that tender, as compared to a rib-eye, then maybe it would benefit by a longer cook and become like a beef version of pulled pork.

Maybe that's another question. I really dislike dried out beef. When brisket is cooked for a long time does it retain its moisture,something like a barbecue version of pot roast that is fork tender? If so, maybe Sirloin would do the same.

Top Sirloin turns out tasty on the WSM or indirect on the kettle. I follow the steps from the post below. I should also mention all my roasts have been in the 3-5 lb range. Good Luck!

Poor Man's Prime Rib,
Top Sirloin, Whole Sirloin, Sirloin Roast as long as it's 10 to 15 pound range. Remove silver skin. Normally I just rub. Marinade would work. Smoke start hot 275 drop to 225 almost right away. Cook to 125-130 internal. Let rest up to an hour in an insulted container. Carve across the grain thick or thin. Some parts needs a vien of hard tissue removed . 135 is medium rare and on up to taste. A Weber roasting rack and aluminum pan to catch the juice is a good idea as the smoked juice is where the flavor is.

Chris and "K",
Damn, that sounds good. Glad I asked because I was thinking of cooking it longer, more like well done and pulling apart. Like I said earlier, I like "red" beef and this sounds like it would be there plus have the added flavor I'd be looking for.

One mistake I've made previously is buying Sirloin "Tip" rather than "Top" There is a world of difference as to tenderness between the two and they cost nearly the same. Sounds like next weekend's menu is settled.
Thanks,
TB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back