Big Apple BBQ Block Party 2011

I went down yesterday myself. The highlight was getting a chance to chat with Myron for about 10 minutes. For all his self-aggrandizement and promotion, in the end, his brisket was "meh" IMHO. Tender but nothing to write home about. Local "Hill Country" from W. 26th St. knocks brisket out of the park.

Next year I think I'm going to spring for the VIP pass since the lines are insane (and that's putting it mildly).

Went yesterday also and feel the same about Myron's and Hill Country. Jacks old south was the first place we went and unfortunatly it started us off on a very low note. We parked right next to the Hill Country resturant and followed a rack of brisket to the party. Hill Country was definatly light years beyond the famed Myron.
The pulled pork from Big Bob Gibsons was very good. But the highlight of the day was the BB's from Rack & Soul. Some of the best ribs I ever ate.

The comparisons of Mixon's and Hill Country's brisket are probably the difference between taking a couple of bites and judging, vs. gettin' yo' belly full.

Reminds me...I used Chris Lilly's publicized pork injection once and thought it was way too salty, and another example... NOBODY in my family likes ribs as sweet as comp. ribs with honey and brown sugar in the foil. Us backyard guys can still learn a lot from the pros, though. Tiger sauce is definately a good addition to foiled ribs, so thanks, Johnny Trigg, or whoever first started using it.
icon_smile.gif

Great pics Mr. Plaines. I can't deal with the crowds, so I've never been. I'll have to hunt down some of the Q joints in NYC on my own. So far, I like Dinosaur BBQ best. Good food, good atmosphere.

Originally posted by Gary H. NJ:
Great pics Mr. Plaines. I can't deal with the crowds, so I've never been. I'll have to hunt down some of the Q joints in NYC on my own. So far, I like Dinosaur BBQ best. Good food, good atmosphere.

Don't waste your money buying their sauce to take home.

Originally posted by M Plaines:
So in you guys opinion what made Hill Country better than Myron's?

Hill Country's meats are more flavourful overall, the bark has some bite to it, I find it more tender and in general and it just makes for a tastier meal. Myron's was certainly enjoyable and if I'd never had brisket before I probably would have loved this. I think I liked his a little more than my local joint's, too. My own brisket is very much hit-and-miss, but when it's on, I think mine is nicer than what you can get from Jack's Old South.

I asked the guys at Hill Country a few months back what they used for a rub they said just salt, pepper and a little cayenne (though of course without saying the proportions!). Their beef just stands out on its own. No injections (or so they claim), wet-mops, marinades or anything. Just salt, pepper, cayenne, white oak hardwood and time.

I think its a waste going to this. I used to go a few years ago. Most vendors ran out of meat and the VIP pass was a joke as well. I just wish who ever runs this has done a better job this year. Those who went what do you think

steve

Originally posted by PeterD:
I asked the guys at Hill Country a few months back what they used for a rub...Just salt, pepper, cayenne, white oak hardwood and time.

I can believe it, and I bet they're actually BURNING white oak, too. As much as I love the convenience of my wsm, I want to get another offset to "get my smoke on". (Who was it on here who was saying he starts his 'Q on the stickburner, and then finishes it on the wsm?)

Seriously, if you know how to select good wood and burn a clean fire....Sorry for rambling, but anyway, yes, I can believe that Hill Country only use a three ingredient rub on their briskets.

Originally posted by Dave Russell:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PeterD:
I asked the guys at Hill Country a few months back what they used for a rub...Just salt, pepper, cayenne, white oak hardwood and time.

I can believe it, and I bet they're actually BURNING white oak, too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup, they are. You see it stacked all over the place. They're modeled after Kreuz's Market (their holding bins are even made to look like Kreuz' pits). The whole place is Texas-themed. Not really necessary IMHO because the food speaks for itself.

Originally posted by PeterD:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Russell:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PeterD:

I can believe it, and I bet they're actually BURNING white oak, too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup, they are. You see it stacked all over the place. They're modeled after Kreuz's Market (their holding bins are even made to look like Kreuz' pits). The whole place is Texas-themed. Not really necessary IMHO because the food speaks for itself. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The thing is, for that Texas hill country brisket to "speak for itself", you gotta use the METHOD, which is burning post oak.

Burning wood is no secret out there, and that's why so many folks from Texas frown on using a charcoal smoker. Just sayin'...

...and honestly, it's the same way with pork shoulder. I guarantee that if I had a decent stick smoker and all the time in the world, I could get better pork shoulder than off my wsm. I've done it with a cheap one, but there's a huge, time-consuming trade-off. (Note to self after last night's pork shoulder: Would mixing a little chipotle and smoked paprika into the pork when pulling help any?)

Here's a post about my tour and review of Hill Country. As far as barbecue joints go, I thought it was pretty good.

Don't waste your money buying their sauce to take home.

not a big fan of their bottle sauce either, but the Dinosaur cookbook is one of my favorites for sides and stuff.

I think its a waste going to this. I used to go a few years ago. Most vendors ran out of meat and the VIP pass was a joke as well. I just wish who ever runs this has done a better job this year. Those who went what do you think

Keep in mine that this event is the single biggest meeting of the best commercial barbecuer in the world. No other town gets to experience anything, even remotely like this, ever.

I've never attended myself, so I don't know what its like, but shouldn't we keep in mind how big this thing is? The rest of us have to actually drive around the country to taste all these different places. New Yorkers have them come to them.

Last year I tried Mike Mill's ribs and, after loving his book, was sorely disappointed. Oddly I've made better ribs on my wsm using his recipe than they served at the babbq. I also tried hill country last year and concluded the brisket was better than anything I've eaten as a judge. The rub is a little sweeter than you'd find in texas, but it's for the better. They have an ayce deal on mondays that includes brisket, probably the best deal in nyc.

I was going to pass this year but had a class at 23rd and fifth that ended at 5pm, so I decided to swing by. The lines were very manageable, I didn't wait more than three minutes for anything. Ed Mitchel cooks whole hog pulled pork and I think it's best pulled pork there (maybe anywhere). I gave Mike Mill's ribs another try, much better than last year but not life changing. Also, I paid $8 of three ribs and 18 beans. C'mon mike, 18 beans?

Back