Better with water or without?

Chuck_B

TVWBB Wizard
So do you use your WSM with the water pan full of water mostly or do you do it without water mostly? Thoughts? Comments? GO!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I dislike clay saucers or sand. I use an empty, foiled pan for most cooks. (Most of my barbecue cooks are at temps of 325-375, chicken at well over 400, so a heat sink is unnecessary.) I use water for cooks where holding a rather low temp (135/155/180/200) is necessary, as for bacon, many sausages, etc. I'll use water for daytime butt cooks (which I do at 250-275), depending on the season, as I cook in full sun.

Originally posted by Chuck_B:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
again... no water.
ever or certain things? </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Never.

Hi,

I've always tought that the water does more than just lower the temps... What is guru opinion to that?

Originally posted by Antti P:
Hi,

I've always tought that the water does more than just lower the temps... What is guru opinion to that?

I really don't think there's any benefit to the water pan other than to act as a heat sink, Antti. I'm one of the cooks here that always uses water in the pan, but I do so because it's what I've always done and it allows me a greater fudge factor in avoiding temperature spikes.

I've done both and can tell no difference other than clean-up and fuel efficiency when using water vs. dry; I only cook dry now. Others will argue to the death that water keeps their meat "moister." I'd suggest trying both methods yourself and seeing what you think.

I too use water in the pan. Mainly because I have had good success in doing so. I will say that I always cook low and slow so I like the extra heat sink the water provides. If I ever decide to try a high temp cook obviously I'll go dry. It's largely a matter of personal preference.

I forgot to fill mine on my first attempt and still don't use water. Never had any problems with temp control or quality of product.

Rob

I've followed the advice on this forum and just foil the pan with no water for everything except a pork butt. For the butt I use water just because it makes temp control at the lower temperature stupid easy.

I've used both and must say that I prefer water in the pan when using lump. I have found that water reduces heat spikes. That said I mostly use it dry with a clay saucer foiled and use Trader Joe's bricketts

Wow, I never realized how many people here don't use water. I've always used water since the instructions I read when I first got my WSM said to use it. I'm going to give it a try next time I'm bbqing.

The only thing water adds to WSM cooks in my experience is a greasy mess at the end. Use empty pan, clay pot or foil alone and you'll never look back.

Dave

Just started using WSM earlier this year and I've never used water. Just a foiled clay saucer in a foiled bowl which works very well for me, including easy clean-up.

I actually always use water but I was thinking of not using it when cooking pork butts but worry about temp spikes.

Back