Better way to put out coals.

CaseyMcC

TVWBB Member
Hi all. I picked up a 22 inch Kettle Premium 3 months ago. I have used it several times and really enjoy it. I have used both baskets and placing coals right on the charcoal grate. But one thing that I haven't been able to get a handle on is getting the coals to extinguish in less than 4 hours. Any advice on how to cut down that time? Thanks

But seriously, folks, 2 ideas:

1. Put a gasket around the kettle lid to make the seal tighter to lessen the oxygen entering the kettle.

2. Get an ash bin with a lid and empty the coals in there. The bin can be used with and without my originally hinted-to method - or just add water.

Yeah, something isn‘t right, Darren has a good point the lid fit may be “questionable” try making a foil “snake” to try that for leaks, good first place, how snug is the fit on the ash sweepers? I think that may be another point of air intrusion.
Please report back with how you manage the issue?

"Used several times" may be part of it. As Darren indicated, you need to be able to shut down all (or almost all) air flow. The more you use the smoker, the more "conditioned" it becomes and usually more airtight. If you see smoke seeping around doors, covers, seams, etc., that may be the issue. On my WSM, mostly it may be hot, but the smoke stops soon after being shutdown. The new 14.5 is not as seasoned, and is taking a bit longer but improving. 4 hours, no.

The airflow comments are obviously valid but whenever I close-down after a cook I also disperse the coals (scatter, or separate) them. Maybe that does nothing but I think it helps cool them down more quickly.

"Used several times" may be part of it. As Darren indicated, you need to be able to shut down all (or almost all) air flow. The more you use the smoker, the more "conditioned" it becomes and usually more airtight. If you see smoke seeping around doors, covers, seams, etc., that may be the issue. On my WSM, mostly it may be hot, but the smoke stops soon after being shutdown. The new 14.5 is not as seasoned, and is taking a bit longer but improving. 4 hours, no.
My WSM cools down a lot quicker than my Kettle, but that is probably part of their designs. When I shut down my smoker, it is usually cool after a little more than an hour. Thanks everyone else for the advise. I will probably get a chance to try some of them later today, except for the, ummmmm, personal fire extinguisher.

The airflow comments are obviously valid but whenever I close-down after a cook I also disperse the coals (scatter, or separate) them. Maybe that does nothing but I think it helps cool them down more quickly.
Hey, I'm not trying to make an issue, but if you are opening the door or lifting the barrel to disperse coals, I would think that the extra oxygen you are providing is stoking the coals just before they start cooling. I've always just left the coals alone. Any ash clinging helps extinguish them and all will come off when cooled and shaken.

But, Rich, the OP is talking about a kettle, on a WSM, the “gunk factor” is, I think, much more important but, the fact that this is new is a good consideration. Should be shut down and cool to touch within an hour or so. Well, mine is pretty well “gunked up“ too, the sweepers have plenty of ash to always move about.

Hey, I'm not trying to make an issue, but if you are opening the door or lifting the barrel to disperse coals, I would think that the extra oxygen you are providing is stoking the coals just before they start cooling. I've always just left the coals alone. Any ash clinging helps extinguish them and all will come off when cooled and shaken.
ABSOLUTELY!
Remove grilled foods, close vents, eat dinner, wash dishes, have after dinner drink stroll to the kettle and feel the lid. Should be cool to the touch (within reason). Do Not Open to check! Relax.

If I use the baskets I've found that they go out faster if I spread out the coals after taking the food off. They seem to retain a lot more heat leaving the coals bunched together. My kettle is cool enough to put the cover back on after I finish dinner. I usually give it about an hour. I almost always add a chunk of wood whenever I use it so it's always getting coated with soot around the lid.

Back