Best wood for ribs.

Darrell J.

TVWBB Fan
I have been quite fond of a mix of Hickory and Apple seems to compliment each other pretty well. I've also heard that some swear by Cherry, Pecan and even some Texans like Mesquite for their ribs. Which do you prefer? Again, I'm talking pork ribs (spares & BB's).

I started Qing ribs with cherry exclusively (it's what I had a lot of). The ribs always finished very dark. Now I'm using a mix of hickory and cherry and the ribs are more the red mahogany color. The hickory is adding a different flavor and the color is more appealing also.

I don't use a lot of any one wood. I usually use oak, apple, cherry, and maple. Usually 2 pieses of the last 2.

I have started using hickory again. I over done the hickory a year ago and have been hesitant to go back. I am going to be running a full load this saturday and will be using as above except hickory instead of oak.

I avoid Mesquite, especially on ribs. It is fine in moderation, but so strong it is easy to "over smoke" in my opinion with the mesquite, especially on a thin meat like ribs.

I am a fan of a fruit mixed with a little hickory as well. Apple or cherry usually. There was a peach tree on my dad's farm that recently died, I got that wood and am looking forward to trying it out.

k

hmmm, I wonder what Greg Rempe, the crazed mesquite man, would use ?

I use less, in fact, quite a bit less: one fist sized chunk, or two if I'm going to let them burn a while in the chimney (takes the edge off, I think)

I like to use a mix of cherry and hickory. I use to use hickory only til I got some cherry wood. I used the cherry only one time and thought it was to mild, so I added some hickory and love the new mix of flavors.

I like pecan and apple, but I like hickory and apple almost as much. When I don't have apple I use pecan and oak, or just straight pecan.

Let me add that I like an apple / cherry mix on my ribs. It seems that most of the midwest uses hickory on everything. I mixed apple & cherry and everybody raved about it. I guess it was because it was different from the hickory they have been getting.

GUAVA WOOD worked out well for me last weekend!

I'd pick some up if I were you! It's really good!
icon_biggrin.gif

HERE is a link to a place where you can get some!!

I use hickory as a base then use either apple or cherry. If i'm not saucing, I use cherry because it gives (in addition to a great taste) a deep mahogany color to the ribs. Looks awesome (taste pretty freakin' sweet, too).

When I use apple, it gives the ribs a subtle, sweetness that I like.

I'm relativly new at REAL BBQ and need some confidence building since I am not satisfied with my results, so far.

While cooking both brisket and butts with a BBQ Guru, the bark gets a resin or bitter oily taste, while the inside is moist and tender. I'd liken the taste to the smell of smoke from freshly starting Kingsford charcoal. I light the charcoal in a chimney with MAPP gas, then let it get a very good start before spreading it out on the grate. I then add more charcoal to fill the fire ring and wait for it to fully light and turn grey all over. I drop on some smoke wood, Mesquite and Apple (about two hands full) Then I assemble the bullet and close all the bottom vents and close the top vent to about 1/2. I wait for the temp to drop to near cooking temp and then load the meat quickly.

The Guru does a great job at controlling the temperature for the rest of the cooking session. The drippings fall on the charcoal below. I monitor the cooking temp and the internal meat temp and stop cooking when the meat temperature meets the criteria for proper "doneness".

The bark is very dark black, even tar like. And it has the off taste described above. I'm thinking of trying mesquite lump charcoal, but it is harder to light and burns inconsistantly.

If anyone knows what I'm doing wrong, or needs more details for a diagnosis, please reply to the forum.

Jim

Originally posted by James Turner:
I'm relativly new at REAL BBQ and need some confidence building since I am not satisfied with my results, so far.
Jim

I'd becareful with the mesquite. IMHO it can add a bitter taste if too much is used. I'd mix cherry with your apple (2 or 3 apple to 1 cherry) or maybe hickory with cherry. I'd also use a drip pan to catch the falling drips of fat. That can also add unpleasant tastes to your meat.

Back