Best size

Monitoring two lit charcoal units at the same time is not that easy to maintain proper temperature control for some of us backyard BBQers:(
I have faith in you, if you are adjusting one the other won't run away on you. Temp control is not precise you will get swings in temps all the time, even if you had both at the exact temp one will always finish first due to the difference in far and somewhat density.

It all depends on what you cook, IMO. I have all three sizes and use them differently. If I am cooking for a large group, I will use the 22 for multiple racks of ribs or pork shoulder. If I am cooking just a rack or two for my wife and I, I use the 18. If I am doing something like pork loin for canadian bacon or other smaller items, then I use the 14. As far as temp control and other factors, I have used all three enough that they are naturally dialed in and I can predict and respond to how they act.

It's easier to cook more on the 18.5" WSM then less on the 22.5" WSM.

I think Tim gets it right. You can squeeze more onto the 18 if needed on occasion.

I have my 18 set up with brackets for a third grate. Nice to have the extra horizontal space when doing ribs laid flat or wings. But most often I cook using only one grate.

Harry soo says if you overload the 18 you can choke it out, he recommends the 22 for multiple full packers etc.

the 18.5 has more than enough room for me, cook for 2-6 people ...pork butts-ribs-chicken-turkey-brisket, freezer is loaded with leftover Q for later dinners . I almost bought a 22 and 14.5 but decided the 18.5 was all I would ever need....honestly i could use my performer for almost all of my smoking needs but the wsm has a longer burn time and easier , my other toy is a 36 lang which is more work but fun

I was flip flopping with the same question and decided to go 22. I have a 14 (might not ever use it again IDK) and years ago had an 18 that was used a lot. I figure for the few extra bucks I would rather have the extra space even if I never use or need it. You never know someday there might be a need to cook 800 meatballs all at once 😂

I have the 22 and even if I'm not cooking for a party, I have no issue with using it for less than fully loaded. When I smoke ribs I do extra slabs and vacuum seal and freeze them into half slab portions for easy mid week dinners that taste pretty darn good. I have smoked on my 22 kettle for many years and still do for smaller portions. TBO, If I had the room and found an 18 for a good price I'd probably grab one to add to my arsenal lol

after using the 22 a few times I am really glad I went with it over the 18. I will probably put the 14 up for sale

18 or 22 WSM? Which provides better smoke quality and temp control? Can't make up my mind which one I want. Any advice?
Depending on your family size. It's just me and my wife with the occasional visit from our boys. I just assembled my WSM 18.5 and I'm glad I didn't buy the 22.5! It would have been overkill for just 2 people and I'm just a weekend warrior as well, so unless you have a large family or hardcore BBQ person, 18.5 is the sweet spot.

Back