Best size baking steel for OTG kettle?

Chris in Louisiana

TVWBB All-Star
I may ask for a baking steel for Christmas. Will use in oven some but also OTG kettle.

Looks like they have a 14, 15, and 16 inch round models, any of which would fit.

All are big enough for the size pies we make. Would go with the 16, but was wondering if anyone had experience with one on the kettle.

Concerned that too large may not let enough air flow around the steel.

Any experience to share?

Thanks

You know... the local metal yard has various sizes of metal discs in the 1/4" variety. I have thought that they were a bit pricey... however compared the pricing for baking steel they are cheap: IIRC maybe $16 -$18 for a 16" diameter chunk of metal. Can't recall exactly. Anyway.... you could give one a good sanding & season it with some canola oil & I'll bet you would have a "Baking Steel".

Myself... I've bought several of the disks & "rimmed" them for use as heat diffusers in my WSMs. After a cracked pottery plate from HD at $14..... I was looking at unbreakable solutions.

Just a thought. Bet your local metal yard might have them, also.

Last edited:
Well, I was going with a 16 but was advised to check oven depth. I had only been concerned with how it fit in the kettle.

They were right. A 16 would not quite fit in my home oven. Looks like a 15 will do both jobs.

Back