Best pulled pork sauce? Go.....

Simple.
I have simplified my taste to 4 sauces basically as far as " bbq sauce " goes.
These 2 rule with pulled pork.
The first is a sweet kind of sauce, lots of pepper taste, works well with beef but tastes great on pulled pork.
I have 5 or 6 at home, first one I truly fell in love with.

1633638006280.png
This second option my be better known, its more vinegar based, also has a bit of sweetness to it. Also much thinner than the first.
No matter which way I go I have stopped mixing all the pork with a sauce. There is the people that prefer it without and it always tastes great when applied to the top of a sammie. Sometimes it is 2 pulled pork bowls 1 with sauce and 1 without.
We also make vinegar based coleslaw, it goes well on top of pulled pork on a bun any day.

1633638112900.png

Sweet Baby Rays thinned out with apple juice, apple cider vinegar, cayenne pepper, granulated garlic, back pepper and chili flakes. SBR is too sweet as-is in the factory jar for me. So I like to change its profile to vinegary and hot with a sweet finish.

Number 5 sauce for Barb and me. If I mix it in with the meat when I shred it I cut it with a little apple juice or cider.

Pulled pork gets either North Carolina vinegar (wife) or South Carolina gold/mustard (me).

Brisket gets Aaron Franklin's sweet sauce (basically #5) with pan drippings mixed in.

Chicken and ribs get thinned out SBR.

Simple.
I have simplified my taste to 4 sauces basically as far as " bbq sauce " goes.
These 2 rule with pulled pork.
The first is a sweet kind of sauce, lots of pepper taste, works well with beef but tastes great on pulled pork.
I have 5 or 6 at home, first one I truly fell in love with.

View attachment 38582
This second option my be better known, its more vinegar based, also has a bit of sweetness to it. Also much thinner than the first.
No matter which way I go I have stopped mixing all the pork with a sauce. There is the people that prefer it without and it always tastes great when applied to the top of a sammie. Sometimes it is 2 pulled pork bowls 1 with sauce and 1 without.
We also make vinegar based coleslaw, it goes well on top of pulled pork on a bun any day.

View attachment 38583

Right there, Killer Hogs Vinegar Sauce ............ excellent. That's my fav on pulled pork.

Plowboys Tar Heel Tang is another good vinegar sauce.

South Carolina Mustard sauce is popular here, but I like my Sweet & Spicy Red. The only time I buy sauce is when we have a crowd over and then it's Sweet Baby Ray's for those who don't like to step out of the box.

Stubbs spicy. It’s the best off the shelf sauce I’ve had, used to be a Sweet Baby Rays guy but got curious about Stubbs and that’s that.

Haven’t yet ventured into the realm of trial and error on my own homemade sauce but it’s coming.

I use Sam Sam Jones Eastern Carolina BBQ Sauce recipe. This is a little bit different from the recipe in his book but both recipes are good.
14DDB2CF-4929-4038-A7BB-F16B6767A644.jpeg5F0B526B-B154-4EF0-80B6-5CB7DA3F3396.jpeg

Back