Best price on an 18.5" WSM?

Kirk Boorman

TVWBB Super Fan
First off, wow I can't believe it's been 4 years since I've posted here. I've poked my head in many times since then but ever since we moved into this house, life's been a little different.

Anyway, I want to pick up an 18.5" as a gift to my brother in law and I can't believe how much these things cost nowadays. I know Amazon used to have deals on them once in a while (I bought 3 of them for 189 each back then), is that still happening? Anyone else have any good prices on these things? Any promotions or discout codes out there?

TIA, Kirk

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Anyone else have any good prices on these things? Any promotions or discout codes out there? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Best prices I found were at aimtofind.com. They are selling the 18.5 for $250. That's where I got mine last year.

Jim

Thanks Jim. That does seem to be the cheapest at the moment but I still think it's way out of line. I mean really, we all know how well these cookers work but given how they're made, I just can't see why they cost so much. Of course the market determines pricing but I can't imagine how many people are turned away by the price of WSM's these days.

You got a good deal back then.I paid a little over $220 for my 08 on Amazon.
The newer ones have upgrades which should by all rites cost more.

Tim

I also got mine from AimToFind.com back in Feb 09. I paid $239 out the door - no tax and no shipping. Ordered it on a Monday and it was waiting for me when I came home from work on Friday.

I think the real story is that the WSM was underpriced for quite some time. We really enjoyed the heydays when it sold for several years for $179 and then $189 at Amazon. But then the price of steel jumped at one point and Weber adjusted their price to about $220. Then in 2009 they added the thermometer, larger water pan, heat shield, and improved the legs and door assy and raised the price again to what we have today.

Regards,
Chris

Thanks guys. I guess I'm just a cheap ol' s.o.b. because when I look at the materials and construction of the WSM, I can't imagine why it should cost more than 200 bucks. I do love the way they cook though so like I said, I guess the market (me) will ultimately decide whether it's worth it. I'll admit I haven't seen one of the new and improved units yet so I my assessment might be somewhat off.

My view is that if you compare price versus cooking space and ease of use to similar sized smokers, it's still pretty inexpensive. I used to sell grills/smokers at an ACE hardware. If you price a 22 WSM and a 22 OTG together it's less than a large BGE/nest and your cooking space out of the box is 3x larger with the Webers plus the versatility of being able to smoke and grill at the same time.

A person can always watch CL. That is what we did and found ours with new grates and it had only be used a few times for $115. Its a 2004 model and in like new condition. I have heard of some of the guys getting "steals" for $40-$50 on occasion also. We think we did good for the price we paid, compared to the new prices that are out there. Just have to be patient as they are not real common on CL in our area.

Terry

Found a pretty new one on Craigslist for 150 on the 3rd. I tried contacting him but it was gone that day. They don't come up for sale very often around here so I knew it would go quick.

Back