Best paint for rehabs by part location? How much is needed?

So I ordered some rustoleum high heat ultra and I received high heat :( The little guy still cleaned up nicely. Not bad for about 10 minutes and a rattle can. Oh and about 30 minutes of teardown. And 30 minutes of scrubbing with dawn dish soap. The bolt holding the firebox on snapped under moderate torque with a small ratchet. Oh well... it needed to be replaced anyway. I can live with the flat finish for now.840A772A-71FE-408B-AE0B-3EC9A8520A7C.jpeg

Yah, no problem. If you can grab a can or two of the ultra Semi Gloss before you use the grill, you can just throw a couple coats over the flat.
Do you still have the wire rack for the bottom of that grill?

Yah, no problem. If you can grab a can or two of the ultra Semi Gloss before you use the grill, you can just throw a couple coats over the flat.
Do you still have the wire rack for the bottom of that grill?
No, the rack was gone when I bought the grill. I hear they are a hot item.

Yah, they either get lost, or rusted out bad and replacements, if you can find them are way too expensive.

Oh, and I use Rustoleum High Heat Ultra on the frame on any area that is adjacent to the cook box. The rest I do with Rustoleum 2X gloss black.
Hey Bruce do you use the Rustoleum 2X Gloss or Semi-Gloss.
Just wondering which one matches the High Heat Ultra best.

The semi might match the high heat better, but I use the gloss on the frame on parts that are not adjacent to the cook box.

Bruce are these black rocker switches painted or are they OEM black. If so what paint did you use for this. If you paint them do they hold up?
Sam: They are "Dyed". They are basically black now. The dye penatrates the plastic so only a deep cut or gouge will expose the true color of the knob.

Here is a test run I initially video taped.
But, I suggest you check out YOUTUBE for "the right way to do it".

The amazing thing to me was that you went back in for a second try (with the burner off, I notice). I would have had to change my underwear first.

EDIT: To the people that want to dye knobs: the acetone is totally unnecessary. Don't believe it? Try it without. You can always run it through a second time. And if you choose to use acetone indoors, always have a camera running so your wife will know why the house burned down.

Last edited:
Yah, I probably didn't need the acetone. Anyway, I did a bigger test later on outside on my turkey fryer and dyed more knobs and even some of the gray end handles and even a Silver B gray lid handle. They all came out great. But, durawood does NOT take the dye. It does slightly, but not much.

I have photos from most of my rehabs. Since I list them on CL and FB MP, I just save the photos to my computer.

Back