Best paint for rehabs by part location? How much is needed?

Hi all,

As I have posted recently, I have a 2000 silver b in black. I would like to do a full rehab soon with a complete teardown and repaint. My question is what paint do you like best for which areas? How many cans should I get?

I've been looking at Rustoleum high heat ultra in black for the frame, firebox, and sides of the lid. My concern is that the pictures on Amazon look terrible. It's flat black. I believe that is going to look terrible once something spills on it. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think I want something more like a semi-gloss to match the original factory paint job. There's also Krylon high heat max. That appears to be something closer to a gloss finish. Other/better options?

Now for the hard question- I know this is a cardinal sin and the answer will be not to do it, but if I really wanted to paint the porcelain lid red and make a DIY redhead, what paint adheres best? My porcelain is shot and has degraded to almost a speckled gray at this point. Even if I have to redo in a few years, I would love the look of red. My biggest concern is that some reviews on amazon have said that the 2000 degree red caliper paint turns orange or yellow at some point, sometimes even on the first heating. Thoughts? Experiences?

The Rusto High Heat Ultra is semi gloss. The Rusto High heat regullar is flat.

Here is a grill i finished today . The Cook box is the flat High heat and the end caps are High Heat Ultra.

20200717 Genesis Silver C - Brown Head with cabinet (9).jpg

Regarding the lid. I say don't do it. But you know that. Your best option is to look for a donor grill with the red lid.

If you want red, this might be up your alley. This is Rustoleum high heat red, with high heat clear over it to get the gloss look.

20170823 Q200 Red Gloss Lid (7).JPG

Oh, and I use Rustoleum High Heat Ultra on the frame on any area that is adjacent to the cook box. The rest I do with Rustoleum 2X gloss black.

12% dye and 5% acetone. But, I added everything before I put heat to it and I did it outside on the turkey fryer.

Bruce, nice work as always.

Ross- do NOT waste time painting the lid. It will look like hell after you cook on it. If you want a red lid, you have 3 options:
1. find a donor grill -cheapest option
2. buy one - me, or someone else here would sell and ship you one - Under $200
3. Have your old lid recoated with a new porcelain finish - $300-$500

I'm not sure why the acetone is added. The acetone would boil off at 133deg and would not be present at 200deg...this is a principle of fractional distillation. I assume the acetone is intended to allow the dye to penetrate the plastic, but not all plastics are susceptible to acetone...some are resistant, like polypropylene and nylon. Has anyone checked to see if straight acetone has any effect on the plastics that are used on our grills?

No Ed, I am no chemist. And you could very well be right that it will boil off after a certain point. I just followed a couple videos that I saw on line. I think one or two that I watched, they wiped the parts down with the acetone before putting them in the dye. And clearly some plastics are more resistant to dye than others which is proven out by my experiment with Durawood which does not accept the dye very well at all.

The only thing I know about distillation I learned from watching Moonshiners. You gotta be careful about what they put out on the internet is all I know for certain. If you're up to it, try a batch without the acetone and compare. You might save a couple of bucks on a rehab, right?

I wish that Thai Dragon that you ate on camera would have been of the variety that I grew! Some of the guys at work ate the Ghost Peppers, and won't do it again.

Last edited:
Ed, you have been bumping around my youtube videos, ehhhh?

Yah, Ed, I know about the Super Hots, I used to grow them all. To include the Carolina Reaper. I gave a pack to my buddy who gave one to a friend who was boasting that he eats all the super hots. He ate one and a 20 minutes later was taken to the hospital. He was warned.

The Carolina Reaper bested the Ghost pepper as the hottest by quite a bit. I am not sure if it is still officially the hottest in the world.

And yes, I have wondered about the acetone, but I have also watched the videos like Bruce, so I see it as a side thing, no harm in adding it, it is not that much of an expense. Just not sure if it is beneficial , but I don't really want to do an experiment to find out.

Funny story: we went to the Pomona Gun Show years and years ago, when they still allowed it in CA, and I wanted to buy some pepper seeds. My wife, who thinks that black pepper is hot, was with me, and I found a vendor who had pepper seeds, and free samples of the ground peppers. At the time, Red Savina was the hottest of the hot, and to my surprise, she took a taste. Not bad, says she, and off we went. About 50 or so feet down the row later, it hit her, and she was in pain! Well, the beer stands didn't open until 11:00, and it was just before then, but we found one that was opening, and the young lady who was attending the stand took pity on her, but she didn't quite know how to draw a beer...she kept drawing foam, and then handing it to my wife, who promptly downed it. Of course, after several glasses of foam, and on an empty stomach, my wife (and I) tottered away, no longer caring about the burn...

But then...as the story continues...the Red Savina was so hot, I didn't harvest them, and at the end of the season I had the whole bush full of peppers. I thought, well, I'll make pepper mash and preserve it. I started to boil the peppers in the house, but the vapors got so bad we couldn't breathe, so I moved the cook outdoors on the camp stove. Boiled them down to a paste, and put it in the fridge.

My son-in-law, who is career Army, and daughter came along around that time, and we were talking about, I dunno, salsa? Anyway, he thought the Red Savina paste was salsa, and took a big scoop on a chip. Lit him up, poor guy. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry, but he survived. I don't know how many Scovilles a Red Savina has, but it's enough to make my taste buds numb.

Funny story: we went to the Pomona Gun Show years and years ago, when they still allowed it in CA, and I wanted to buy some pepper seeds. My wife, who thinks that black pepper is hot, was with me, and I found a vendor who had pepper seeds, and free samples of the ground peppers. At the time, Red Savina was the hottest of the hot, and to my surprise, she took a taste. Not bad, says she, and off we went. About 50 or so feet down the row later, it hit her, and she was in pain! Well, the beer stands didn't open until 11:00, and it was just before then, but we found one that was opening, and the young lady who was attending the stand took pity on her, but she didn't quite know how to draw a beer...she kept drawing foam, and then handing it to my wife, who promptly downed it. Of course, after several glasses of foam, and on an empty stomach, my wife (and I) tottered away, no longer caring about the burn...

But then...as the story continues...the Red Savina was so hot, I didn't harvest them, and at the end of the season I had the whole bush full of peppers. I thought, well, I'll make pepper mash and preserve it. I started to boil the peppers in the house, but the vapors got so bad we couldn't breathe, so I moved the cook outdoors on the camp stove. Boiled them down to a paste, and put it in the fridge.

My son-in-law, who is career Army, and daughter came along around that time, and we were talking about, I dunno, salsa? Anyway, he thought the Red Savina paste was salsa, and took a big scoop on a chip. Lit him up, poor guy. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry, but he survived. I don't know how many Scovilles a Red Savina has, but it's enough to make my taste buds numb.
Ed: I have grown those too and yes extremely hot. Just not in the same league as the ghost and reaper, but extremely hot. The thing is, beer is a horrible dilution for Capsaicin. You are much better off with dairy products such as milk or ice cream.

Back