Best Paint - Firebox Exterior versus Grill Cart

Rustoleum High heat flat black is $7 a can and is much easier to find. I can walk into Ace, HD, Lowes and likely find it on the shelf.

Rustoleum High heat ultra satin black is $12 a can if it can be found.

I'm wondering if I can do a base coat or two in flat as the flat seems to hide flaws better and then put on a top coat of high heat ultra to get the shiny finish.

( edited to fix my mistakes )

Rustoleum High heat flat black is $7 a can and is much easier to find. I can walk into Ace, HD, Lowes and likely find it on the shelf.

Rustoleum High heat ultra satin black is $12 a can if it can be found.

I'm wondering if I can do a base coat or two in flat as the flat seems to hide flaws better and then put on a top coat of high heat ultra to get the shiny finish.

( edited to fix my mistakes )
I don't see why not, someone should give it a try.

Yah, it almost looks like a black primer when you put it on. No reason that I can think of that would prevent you from putting a coat or two down of the regular HH before top coating with the Ultra. However, once you put down a top coat of the ultra, it will show any imperfections again. But that is not generally a big issue for the cook box any way.

I notice that I am getting flake off or some light corrosion on the outside of my cookbox. I assume due to grease. What do you all use to prep the surface before spraying paint on the cookbox?

Chris: The best thing to do is strip the cookbox completely with angle grinder and wire cup brush or have it sand blasted. Otherwise, it is not going to look to good painting over chipped paint areas. Also, if it is starting to chip and peel, then likely the areas around that are close to doing the same and will continue to chip and peel even after a repaint. But, regardless, you need to make sure the surface is good and clean of contaminates, especially grease. A good scrubbing with a green scrubby or steel wool and a cleaner like Simple green and/or grill cleaner will work well. Then you will probably want to wipe it down good with brake cleaner to remove any contaminates prior to painting.

I'm curious when you are showing the plain high heat if that is the one they call BBQ black or not. I am looking for a satin sheen and the description on the websites. On line Ace says it's satin, Wal-Mart says flat. The manufacturer # is 7778-830. On the Rustoleum website there is also a BBQ and stove paint and they say it is satin. Anyone ever see that in person? The semi-gloss is too shiny in my opinion but flat isn't what I want either.

Rustoleum makes the High heat BBQ paint in two varieties. One is matte and one is a Semi-Gloss. There is no Satin, although, I would like it if there was. The semi gloss is labeled as "High Heat Ultra" and the matte is just "High Heat". Both are rated for the same temp tolerances.

Rustoleum makes the High heat BBQ paint in two varieties. One is matte and one is a Semi-Gloss. There is no Satin, although, I would like it if there was. The semi gloss is labeled as "High Heat Ultra" and the matte is just "High Heat". Both are rated for the same temp tolerances.
OK, that's what I thought. Bummer!

Jeana. There are several other outfits that make high heat paint. It is just that Rustoleum works for me and is readily available.
I've been doing some research and there is not a lot of options for satin unless you want to pay through the nose for it. I may give the Ace Hardware version a try, or at least go take a look and try to determine if it is satin.

Back