Best method for consistant temps

JoeE

Hi all! I have read about the minion method, Soo's method and then the Snake. I'm sure that they all maintain a good temp but with my new WSM 18 I am looking for the "best" tried and true way that you all have done. I am looking at a 15# brisket this weekend and I am figuring it will take about 11.5 hours but I will need to start it overnight and let it go. I am a little nervous since this is my first smoke on the 18 but on my other smoker I needed to tend and add coals and chunks of wood for smoke. I have some leftover Royal Oak chunks that I am thinking about starting the smoke with since it is hardwood and I plan on adding some pecan and apple chunks as well. But will the Royal Oak hold up to the time I need or should I just use Kingsford blue and add chunks to that and the royal oak can be used in my fire-pit? I just don;t want to end up with an out fire in the middle of the night and a badly smoked piece of $60 meat :wsm22:

As for the difference between Harry Soo's and the minion method, there is no difference. There are many variations of the minion method and they all work pretty well.

As for the fuel, I would stay with Kingsford Blue Bag (KBB). It will give you a very consistant cook for the long haul. Chunk tends to burn faster and hotter so you will have to refuel at some point. If this is your first overnight cook, I doubt that you will sleep well, I know I did not.

Do you have any type of remote thermometer that will read the pit temp? That could help to monitor without going outside all the time.

Good luck and enjoy that brisket.

Do you have any type of remote thermometer that will read the pit temp? That could help to monitor without going outside all the time.

Bob, I have an iGrill with multiple probes so I can monitor my grill and the meat internal temp. I was going to place one probe on the grate next to the meat for internal cooker temp.

Remember to keep the grate probe at least an inch from the meat. When the meat first goes on, it is very cold and can have an effect on the grate temp probe.

Joe - For consistent low-n-slow burns, I suggest:
-USE The Water Pan
-Briquettes (of almost ANY type) typically burn longer than lump
-Use some variation of Minion method and catch temps on the way up

(I usually toss-on lit, wait about a minute, assemble and close-up the smoker, then put the meat-on after about 5 minutes - then start closing-down the vents. Mine runs at a nice 225-275 with the bottom vents closed to about 1/2)

With that fancy remote thermometer that you have - you should be able to KEEP THE LID CLOSED for almost the entire cook. I would only open the lid when you know that it's getting close or to apply a mop, etc. but fight the temptation to open the lid any more than is absolutely needed - doing so adds time to the cook...

Snake method is primarily for cold smoking or for smoking within a kettle grill. The 18" WSM is DESIGNED to run low-and-slow

Back