Best meat sources?

Mike Stevenson

TVWBB Super Fan
Can you guys please tell me where you buy your meat?
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I normally go to BJ's Wholesale for pork, but the Wegman's Food Market franchise in our area has begun selling pork shoulder (not picnic) for 99 cents/lb.

Local butcher,sams club every now and then, wegmans or whoever has the prices i like. Hopefully someone from your neck of the woods will help you out.

It's really worth the effort to find and frequent a good local butcher. Pricing at our local shop is competitive with supermarkets if you compare products fairly. That's sometimes not easy to do, though, because often the supermarkets don't carry a comparably good product.

Originally posted by Carl H.:
It's really worth the effort to find and frequent a good local butcher.

I would except for one thing, they're all gone. I could go to Cambridge and pay $25 or more per lb for stuff, but that would put a serious dent in the old social security check. I get my meat mainly at BJ's and a local supermarket. Can't complain about their quality

I go to cash and carry sometimes, safeway and haggen. Sometimes Sylvania meats. Double D meats near you is a good choice.

I switch between Costco and Stop and shop. I use a butcher in the next town over for special cuts and ocassions which are few and far between. I still believe that using the smoker as it is intended, I can take the cheapest, toughest cut of meat and turn it into a moist tender cut of meat.

Originally posted by Mike Stevenson:
Guys thank you so much for the replies. I have not been receiving emails about this thread.
icon_confused.gif

Mike - To get emails when someone responds to a post, while you are in this thread, scroll to the top of the screen and click the button for NOTIFY (with the orange flag). Then pick whether you want immediate, daily, or weekly emails. There may be a master option you can set to get emails of replies to every post you write, but I'm not sure. The forum doesn't automatically send emails to you, though. Hope this is what you were asking about...

EDIT:

Oh yeah, I get most of my beef from Tom Thumb/Safeway (only place I can find Tri Tip around here), and my pork from a remaining Albertson's store that stocks a special section with the whole array of un-enhanced pork: BBs, Spares, Loins, Tenderloins, Butts.

Even within the same grocery chain, I find the meat varies WIDELY by location. The Tom Thumb near my office usually has a nice variety of good looking cuts, while the one near my house... lets just say the steaks look like a psychopath went after a live cow with a chainsaw!

Costco for pork butt, unenhanced ribs, and trimmed flats. Local grocery (King Soopers) for brisket packers (USDA-C) @ $1.99/lb.

Local safeway for loss-leader sales on things like whole fryers, beef top round, etc.

Local butcher for non-b/c/p meats like venison and duck, and "nontraditional" cuts like pork belly.

Golden Steer in Bellevue. Can't beat it. Superior chickens for butterflying. Meaty ribs. Great brisket. 20 kinds of sausage. The best.

Mike,
I am blessed with a GREAT butcher who also raises all of his livestock free range/organic. Actually his prices are not out of line with the local stores, but the quality cannot be surpassed. Let me suggest doing a little homework and try to find someone who has a similar set up; try googling slow foods and put in your location.
I find that having an ongoing freindship/business relationship with him has paid off so much. He is always happy to do special orders and help in what I plan to cook. Oh, I also give he and his wife some of my efforts which they really appreciate.

For those in the Twin Cities, Hackenmuellers Butcher Shop is the place. Only place I go and it is 40 minutes from my house.

Back