Best Hamburger Recipies

Last night I tried Costco's pre-made burger paddies for the first time. Nice hot fire on my OTG, three minutes a side. After I took the burgers off the fire, but before they had a chance to cool, we put on a layer of Maytag Blue Cheese and a slice of sweet onion. Um-m-m-m, GOOD!! Best burger I have had for a while. Costco will be my "go-to" source for hamburger meat in the future (it was THAT good!).

Sometimes, I grill bacon indirect to apply to my burgers (bacon makes EVERYTHING taste better:cool:).

FWIW
Dale53

A little late to this party, but the last burgers I made were one of my favorites. Finely minced some garlic, bacon, and mushrooms and cooked slightly in a pan (a sort of duxelles).

ayze.jpg

Let that cool and then mix into the ground meat, shape into patties.

c5i6.jpg

Cook direct for a few minutes each side, and then indirect to melt some cheddar over the top. This will become a standard for me.

Cheers, Michael

Ground chuck mixed with diced onion and shredded cheddar is good. Burgers can be simple or with a gazillion spices
and sauces. Grill me a burger over the charcoal with a little smokewood added, top it with a scrambled egg and I am happy
for a while.
I don't have any secret recipes, but I always add a little wood to the coals when cooking burgers. I have several oak trees in the back yard so I just pick up a handful of the twigs that fall out, and toss them in at the side of the fire. I like my burgers simple, just lettuce, tomato, and mayonnaise and sometimes a slice of onion.

Last weekend I tried something new and got my butcher to ground up some sirloin. I did 50/50 with the sirloin and chuck and the burgers had a ton of flavor. A little bit more expensive but wow they were good.

I followed Meathead's advice on his steakhouse burger and on having my butcher grind some chuck: coarse grind, using the 1/4" holes, only once through the grinder, and packaged loosely. I then did a reverse sear and really liked the results.

We often will buy a 5lb. tray of lean ground and a couple of pounds of medium ground. I take one cooking onion and 3-4 cloves of garlic, put them in the food processor. I mix the emulsified onion and garlic with a tbsp. of Montreal Steak Spice into the meat. I let the mixture sit in the fridge a few hours. That is important. You can go further with bread crumb fillers, sauces, or more seasonings but this simple mixture is awesome seared over charcoal. We make up frozen patties and put them in Food Saver bags so they are always on hand. When I get ground chuck it's even better.

A little late to this party, but the last burgers I made were one of my favorites. Finely minced some garlic, bacon, and mushrooms and cooked slightly in a pan (a sort of duxelles).

ayze.jpg

Let that cool and then mix into the ground meat, shape into patties.

c5i6.jpg

Cook direct for a few minutes each side, and then indirect to melt some cheddar over the top. This will become a standard for me.

Cheers, Michael

Michael, this looks awesome and I will give it a try soon. I was scrolling down through the pictures which were all very good and got to the end but there was no picture of the cooked patty. :(

Last edited:

Back