Best Gasket Kit

Travis_CP

Looking for the best gasket kit for my new 22.5 WSM. I'll also be getting a cajun bandit door soon. Which one is the best? Last the longest? Easy to install? Thanks!

Keep it OEM and smoke away! Once you season the WSM a lot of those little crevices will seal up.

I have heard that the gaskets and door are not needed, but I had to tinker and did it any ways. BBQGaskets.com and Cajun Bandit for the door. You can see my mods (including the gasket install) HERE.

The lid on my 14.5 is a bit out-of-round (dropped it, ooops) and no amount of gentle pushing/pulling gets it quite right. A lot more smoke comes out around the edges than used to. Would the gasket fix this? If so, is it hard to apply? I'm not terribly patient if that's a requirement to install, lol.

My used 22.5 was pretty crusty. I'm in the middle of my first smoke with it. I thought the door looked like a loosey goosey fit. I bent around on it and still wasn't satisfied. So I made a mental note of needing a CB door. To my surprise when I fired it up for it's maiden voyage tonight there's no smokey coming from the door. Maybe it's pulling air in around the door but no smoke.

CB door

I have heard that the gaskets and door are not needed, but I had to tinker and did it any ways. BBQGaskets.com and Cajun Bandit for the door. You can see my mods (including the gasket install) HERE.

What is the main advantage of the CB door? Does it seal better? Is it thicker...more fuel efficient?

My main leaks (after 4 cooks/20+hrs) are still around the door on one side and also on the top (lid and middle section) on the same side as the door btw.

Is it really a big deal to have EVERYTHING air tight? Will it really affect the cook to have it one way or the other?

Is it really a big deal to have EVERYTHING air tight? Will it really affect the cook to have it one way or the other?
In my opinion it's not a big deal, others may say it is.
Of the WSMs I have cooked on (stock doors, no gaskets), all have some smoke leaking around the door and/or between the lid and center section. Leaks become an issue when you close all of the vents and the fire doesn't go out or takes a really long time to go out. Those kinds of leaks can cause temp control to be more difficult.
The way I see it, if I have a steady flow of thin blue smoke out of the top vent and the fire goes out within an hour or so of closing all vents, I'm good, even if there is a little leakage around the door or dome.

Clark is right. It is not mandatory unless you are having temp control issues. Sounds like your barrel or door may be a little out of round. Do multiple measurements across the barrel's top and bottom to check. If it isn't fairly even all the way around, give it a little hug to round it up. You can also bend the door a little to see if you can get the leaks to close.

The lid on my 14.5 is a bit out-of-round (dropped it, ooops) and no amount of gentle pushing/pulling gets it quite right. A lot more smoke comes out around the edges than used to. Would the gasket fix this? If so, is it hard to apply? I'm not terribly patient if that's a requirement to install, lol.

Lin, I had the same problem as you with my 22.5 OTG - a couple of months ago, I ordered the gasket described above, followed the YouTube video directions - written directions are included as well - and while not 100% contained, there is considerably less smoke visible than before my modification...make sure you use a product to clean the gook off first (I used Simple green.)

Regards,

Rooster

I don't think having an air tight WSM is a big deal. I get a little smoke coming around the door but not much. I can extinguish the fire by closing the dampers no problem. I guess it all depends on how much of a leak your door has.

I have been cooking on my WSM for over and year and experience a decent amount of smoke leaking form lid and door. I am flirting with the idea of getting a gasket kit. This is a rookie question but for the gasket around the lid and middle section to you stick the gasket to the lid or midsection? I watched the above youtube video with the guys applying the gasket to a weber kettle lid. Same for WSM?

Save your money. Your WSM will look better with a brisket cooking than with some goofy gasket hanging around the doors.

I don't have a gasket, but I can't imagine how nasty one would get around the lid. Without a gasket, I have to keep the lip of the center section and the lid clean or the lid will actually stick to the center section and will not come off. I actually had to pry the lid off with a screw driver once. Before I would install a gasket, I'd talk to someone who had one for a year or more and see if they still like it. Leaks are not a big problem with the WSM and most can be fixed by gently persuading the center section or door into proper position.

I don't have a gasket, but I can't imagine how nasty one would get around the lid. Without a gasket, I have to keep the lip of the center section and the lid clean or the lid will actually stick to the center section and will not come off. I actually had to pry the lid off with a screw driver once. Before I would install a gasket, I'd talk to someone who had one for a year or more and see if they still like it. Leaks are not a big problem with the WSM and most can be fixed by gently persuading the center section or door into proper position.

Jerry, as for liking it, I have had the gasket on my WSM for a year and a half and still think it is worth the time and effort. Would not change a thing. Just my opinion!!

Jerry, as for liking it, I have had the gasket on my WSM for a year and a half and still think it is worth the time and effort. Would not change a thing. Just my opinion!!

Do you have it on the bottom of the middle section as well as the top or just one location?

Did you ever use your WSM without the gasket? Wondering why you decided to put one on in the first place.

I put the gasket on the door and the lid. It's not necessary at all but to me improves temp control. The base fits tight enough that you don't need the gasket. I agree the gasket looks bad around the door opening but you can put it on the door.

Jerry, I have it on the bottom section, the top section, and the door. I agree with Dustin that it helps to improve temp control.

I'll add this. It's probably more critical if you are a low and slow guy. If you cook high heat I probably wouldn't mess with the gaskets. You probably want more air in around the door. With the gaskets I have to prop the lid with a skewer to get 350. As it is, I can shut the vents and put out the fire and reuse charcoal pretty easily.

I can shut the vents and put out the fire and reuse charcoal pretty easily.

This is what I don't understand. I have no gaskets and I too can shut my vents and reuse my charcoal. I think that's a pretty reasonable test of whether or not the WSM is tight enough. Which leads me to think that the gaskets are just making up for flaws in the unit. I believe those flaws can be corrected without gaskets by spending a little time with the door and coaxing the center section into round. To each his/her own (and I mean that sincerely), but I see putting the gasket on the WSM as a gimmick and spending money unnecessarily. (of course I've never spend money unnecessarily :) ) Something to keep in mind however if money or time are tight.

I did check for the roundness of my center section and it was fine. Since I only use it for low and slow. I just wanted any advantage I could get. And I did it at a time when money was not as tight as it is now. Bottom line is I just wanted to make it my own. It probably would have worked without the gasket, but I just liked the idea. I wanted to so I did it. All is good and the food that cooks in the 22 is great.

Back