Best Dang Steak Technique i have found

Well, I tried this and I think I finally can cook a decent steak. Wooo Hooo! I did it as Kevin suggested and just salted normally, but I did let it sit for 90 minutes to come to temp. Awesome!

steakZuke.jpg

Great job Tom. I tried the conservative method with some tenderloin tonight for 5 people. The response was great!

Originally posted by Brandon A:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe Dang:
Seriously guys, if you find it too salty do not do the heavy salt and rinse method. Just salt like normal but let it sit for an hour.

But isnt that the point of the best dang steak technique?
icon_biggrin.gif
What you describe is just the "way I've been doing it" technique
icon_wink.gif
I had to try the method as described, but it turned out too salty, for me and alot of people it appears. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>well there are variations to the technique. The steamy kitchen one may put too much salt on for a lot of people. You're basically saturating the steak with salt, then rinsing off the surface.

When I discovered the steamy kitchen version I had already read about pre-salting on Cooks Illustrated with their time-lapsed video. To aid in having the steak reabsorb the salt water, I put it on a flat plate and take a piece of saran wrap and just press it to the top of the steak. Surprisingly it helps. There's not much excess water anywhere when I do this way.

I think some who find their steaks lacking might just need a tiny bit more salt (but not too much) and the pre-salt. A bunch of salt at the surface is different than the same amount spread throughout the meat somewhat.

Tried this tonight with a venison steak. What cut you ask? good question! A lower grade cut... I'm not sure..... I seem to be too busy in the woods during deer season and can't find the time to stay in the woods AND do my own processing, so I rely on a local butcher. The package the steaks labeled either "steak" or "loin steak". It was a slice through 2 muscles, one of them being "round steak" if I had to guess.

Thanks to another thread I used the WSM bottom only with a chunk of hickory & oak, about 1/2 chimney of competition kingsford. Nice smokey flavor.. perfect salt level. I did more than I would season at finish but less than this method for about 40 minutes on a 3/4" steak, rinsed and dried, another 20 minutes or so on counter before WSM was ready. Other than using a full chimney next time to get higher heat, better sear, more rare, this was excellent. Tender and juicy... but then again... in beef terms this would have been called veal. Tender is a given.

Question about salting the steak. In the pics that Larry Wolffe posted on the first page of this thread its hard to tell if both sides of the steaks are salted or just one side. I know it seems like a dumb question but I've actually asked dumber ones before. To me it seems logical that both sides would be salted, but then again not everyone seems to believe in logic.

Originally posted by j.shan:
Question about salting the steak. In the pics that Larry Wolffe posted on the first page of this thread its hard to tell if both sides of the steaks are salted or just one side. I know it seems like a dumb question but I've actually asked dumber ones before. To me it seems logical that both sides would be salted, but then again not everyone seems to believe in logic.
Not a dumb question at all. Yes you do salt both sides of the steak.
icon_wink.gif

Okay, leave this to me to notice ....

The cookbook linked in the original post can cost almost $200.00 new!!! ($5.13 used in bad shape).

Really, has anyone ever spent this much on a cookbook?

As a variation, I'm a big fan of salting the steak (bone-in ribeyes, in case you're wondering) the way I'd normally salt it (i.e. not heavily) as it comes up to room temperature. Then I hit it with this rub and then grill as usual.

Bone-in rib-eyes are favorites.

Yes, Tim, a few. (I collect cookbooks.) The last was Sous Vide Cuisine by Joan Roca and Salvador Brugués. One of these days I might actually open it.
icon_smile.gif

I just did this with some Costco Ribeyes and used the Reverse Sear technique. I've got to say, it was the juiciest, most flavorful steak I've ever made.

Not sure if it was the salting or the reverse sear, but no matter. From now on I'm just going to do them both!

I know this is a pretty old thread, but I thought I would share my experience for other new members' benefit. This technique really works. Vons (common grocery chain in these parts) has a beef brand they call "Rancher's Reserve." I don't think it's any better than Choice and maybe not that good. Real crap shoot, but convenient to stop on a work night and pick up something. Anyway, sometimes the cuts are good, sometimes not so good. But putting Montreal Steak Seasoning on the Vons steaks and letting them sit at room temperature for 90 minutes and using a reverse sear really makes a difference. Much more tender and juicy (at leasts perceived) than previous methods. My sons give it two thumbs up.

As written in the blog link of the original post "Want to make the steak taste EVEN better? Add flavoring during the salting process. Smushed garlic, spices, herbs (rosemary & garlic ROCK), the salt acts like a celebrity, bringing its entourage of flavors with it into the meat."

I will be experimenting with this, maybe high quality peppercorns, thyme, oregano, gummy bears, there are so many possibilities.

*intrigued*

I have a couple of cheap 1/2 to 3/4 sirloin steaks. after reading all the posts i will salt (or use montreal seasoning) as i normally would and let sit for 30 minutes or so and not pat dry. then grill

i usually let the meat sit for 15 minutes and salt right before grilling.

Russ-- For me, both sides. I don't oversalt so I don't rinse.

brady-- Go for at least as hour. 90 min if you've got them. Letting the steaks warm at room temp increases tenderness.

I'm a pretty new member, but I've read lots of old posts on this forum, and I've found Kevin's advice (as well as others') to be golden. 60-90 minutes has really made a difference for me.

I tried this method when this thread first started, but I didn't read the whole article. I just read the bit about using 'a lot of salt', letting it rest for an hour, and rinsing it well.

I followed these instructions with zeal, literally burying the steak in salt and leaving it there for an hour. I remember thinking as I was buring the meat in salt that I can't imagine this turning out well. I was right. When the meat was cooked it felt like it had rigamortis, and was so salty that I just couldn't eat it and it ended up in the bin.

Since that bad experience, I pretty much ignored this thread and went back to my usual steak technique of salting, letting the meat warm to room temperature, and reverse searing. I only really eat fillet steak, so I don't really have a problem with tenderness.

I've been pre-salting all along, but I've gone back and read the original article and the salting guidelines. Next time I do steak I will try the heavy salting and rinsing technique again and see how it turns out.

-Mark.

Originally posted by davidb:
As written in the blog link of the original post "Want to make the steak taste EVEN better? Add flavoring during the salting process. Smushed garlic, spices, herbs (rosemary & garlic ROCK), the salt acts like a celebrity, bringing its entourage of flavors with it into the meat."

I will be experimenting with this, maybe high quality peppercorns, thyme, oregano, gummy bears, there are so many possibilities.

I tried this Saturday evening with a couple of Choice 12oz. strip steaks. I first made a mash of chopped garlic, fresh rosemary and kosher salt in my mortar and pestle, rubbed the strips down as a base layer then buried them with kosher salt and let set at room temp. After an hour I rinsed the salt off and patted dry with paper towel. It was clearly evident the salt had performed its magic as they had begun to break down in a very good way.
Rubbed them with a little evoo, tossed them on the Performer over some Cowboy lump with a lid temp of 550° for total of 8 minutes until rare.
They turned out great, some of the most tender, moist, and flavorful strips I've eaten. The garlic and rosemary rub had little effect however. I would advise not to be afraid of a really good thorough rinse when washing off the salt, maybe a minute each under the tap as they were just a little too salty, I had only done a quick rinse to visually remove the salt. All in all, I'm a big fan of this method and will adapt this as my steak prep standard.

Back