BEST cleaning solvent and tool for inside Hood and grill box?? Oven cleaner??

Beware if using windshield washer fluid that it's primary ingredient is methanol. Very poisonous getting ingested through the skin. Leads to liver and brain damage. Lots of fun things

I finally had some time to work on the comparison a little more today.
I picked up this Silver B yesterday, and decided it would be a good
one test these on.

I sprayed the Sam's on the left side of the firebox, and
the DPD on the right side.
YDVxrF6h.jpg

If you notice in each corner, there are spots that are noticeably cleaner than
than the surrounding areas. That is where 30 minutes after spraying, I took
some steel wool and scrub for about 20 seconds. It total, I let the sparys do
their thing for 1 hour, then I took it to the carwash and gave it a good degreasing,
and power wash.

This is the DPD corner -

2JGhaSDh.jpg

This is the Sam's cleaner corner-

DiOiPCZh.jpg

Basically, no difference, and unfortunately, neither will prevent
me from breaking out the angle grinder and cup brush tomorrow
evening. :( Final early review has me calling the competition a tie.
They both ended up similar results. However, I am calling in a victory
for the Sam's cleaner simply based on price. At $3 a bottle when bought
in the 3pack, vs $9 a bottle for the DPD when bought in the 6pack, it's
a no brainer. I highly recommend you get down to your local Sam's
club and stock up before the price on this stuff skyrockets the same way
the DPD has.

Speaking of the cup brush, I had to pick up another - I think my 4th
one in the past couple of months.

MvBfUHjh.jpg

They sure don't last very long. I have been buying the cheapo's
at Harbor Freight. Are the better brands any better or do they
all wear down to nothing rather quickly?

Thanks very much for that comparison. I don't think you're gonna find a better value than the Harbor freight brushes. You might find ones with a slight bit more quality but they cost about 4 times as much

I also want to thank you for that review. I have already used up 1 & 1/2 of my two bottles of the Dawn...It did pretty well on the stainless TEC grill especially after I followed Jeff’s advice. Based on your results and the huge price difference, though, Sams will be on my to go to list!

I think these cleaners can be a big help, but I won’t get rid of my angle grinders. I have wondered the same thing about brushes. I think what Bruce said is almost certainly true. Even if you go through a few extra brushes vs. a name brand you still come out way ahead.

Yah, I dont have a Sams Club membership any more, but my parents do. Next time I visit, I will probably make a run with them to their Sam's Club.

Last year I bought a bottle of WEBER grill cleaner when I first started rehabbing grills. I remember thinking it didn't do a very good job and just put it to the side. Today, with all my grill rehabbing stuff put away, I decided to give my Genny 1000 bluehead a quick cleaning. Since I didn't have any simple green laying around, I grabbed the Weber cleaner and a rag. That was a mistake. It didn't do anything to remove the grease and grime from the hood and the lint from the rag just stuck to it. Same deal with a Q2000. That stuff is now in the bottom of my trash can. I suppose with a #0000 steel wool pad it would have worked better, but I think I would have been better off with water.

Back