best book or guide? Online or in print

I just bought a 22! Super stoked... I have read on here ENDLESSLY... but I am now feeling a bit swamped... info overload... :confused:

is there a site that just does recipes/temps/processes...? Or a great book that is WSM centric?

I think Weber's Smoke is a pretty good book. It has a beginner's setup section in the front and some really good recipes. I don't think it's avail on kindle yet. If you buy from Amazon be sure to go thru the link on this site so Chris gets a nod. It doesn't increase your price but it helps him out.

I like this site of course and also amazingribs.com. I also just got my WSM and feel the same way. Best bet is to decide on what to cook, make sure you have all the tools/supplies and then get all the foods/seasonings together for your recipe.

I decided on chicken wings for my first cook. Today I picked up a thermometer (my WSM is vintage and did not have one) and some hickory chunks. I got my Stubbs charcoal and a Weber Chimney earlier this week. I still need to get a terra cotta saucer and some heavy duty aluminum foil.

Tomorrow morning I am gonna pick up some wings. I will get a bunch so I can pretty much fill the top and bottom with meat. Next is a quick brine and then some seasoning for the wings. Then light the chimney probably using the minion method. Let it get to temp and throw the wings on. I am guessing 1.5 to 2 hours to cook. Will keep an eye on it and drink a beer or 3 while chilling outside with some jams going. I will try not to open the cooker but I am sure I will not be able to resist and will use the excuse that I need to spritz the chicken every 5 minutes. :wsm: ;)

Ok...enough of my rambling. Hope this helps you get started. :cool:

PS: Forgot to add that I got Gary Wiviott's Low and Slow. Pretty good book with some great recipes. He is bit snarky for my taste and kinda low-tech which goes against my technical nature. I have enjoyed the book however and plan to basically follow his five lessons. Have to start somewhere. :)

PS: Forgot to add that I got Gary Wiviott's Low and Slow. Pretty good book with some great recipes. He is bit snarky for my taste and kinda low-tech which goes against my technical nature. I have enjoyed the book however and plan to basically follow his five lessons. Have to start somewhere. :)

That's a good book to learn the WSM. If you'll follow it you will learn what is happening, why, and what to do about it.

What Mitch said^^^^^^^^^. I did ribs first, got me to know the minion method, heat control, amount of charcoal etc. Most will say a pork butt is the most forgiving and therefore a great first effort, though it can take many hours..................................d

This site an the virtual weber bullet... I am a rookie as well and get all kinds of ideas and info from here... Get idea, research idea and execute idea ..90% of it is from here and virtual bullet ...

Back