Best BBQ chicken - marinated? WSM or Grill? skin?

Don NICKLES

TVWBB Member
Most BBQ recipes here don't mention marinade just rub cook and sauce. WHat do you guys think? What about skin - necessary for the WSM?
I think I prefer the wsm because the chicken is juicier but I am not sure.

i am not certain what your asking about the skin. i am assuming that leaving it on or taking off is what your asking. personally i leave the skin on my chicken as some folks like it some dont and de-skinning after cooking is a lot easier than doing it before hand. if you leave the skin on it protects the chicken from getting too much smoke on slower cooks.

if your going to de-skin before cooking i would strongly recomend a faster cooking method in the 300-350 range. this will ensure your bird is not overly smoked. chicken is like a smoke sponge without the skin.

i have tried marinating in the past and have been happy with the taste as it usually overpowers the bbq flavour i look for when using the wsm. i tend to save marinating for the oven. i would suggest that you try it yourself because your tastes are liekly different than mine.

as for sauces i never apply sauce to my bbq. i serve sauce on the side and let my guests decide if they want it or not. some prefer no sauce others like light sauce and some heavier.

everything i have said is purely my opinion as there are no rules on prep for meats and serving. its all personal preference and opinion. all i can do for the questions i am assuming you are asking is to give my opinion. i highly recomend trying a lot of different methods and techniques to find what you like.

I prefer leaving the skin on and then after the chicken is close to temp, I either disassemble the smoker to put the chicken right on the direct heat to crisp up the skin or turn on the gasser.

Back