Best BBQ Book(s) - What is your "Bible"?

I don't really have a bible. I do like this site for finding information about any particular subject. There are some really knowledgeable folks here from whom I can learn a thing or three. I also like the tone of their responses. (I did look at some of Wiviott's stuff and came across the rant against TVWBB. Regardless of his knowledge, it turns me off to hear anyone badmouth their competition and I'll consequently look no further at his stuff.)

I recently picked up a couple books by Raichlen after finding his show "Primal Grill" on TV. I really like a couple things he prepared including Gaucho beef ribs and brisket with coffee rub. I'm using his books for ideas on different things to try. That doesn't make his books biblical, but I do like the fact that he's traveled far and wide to find new recipes.

With Christmas coming, I started looking (googling) for cook book recommendations. Specifically for charcuterie.

Lo and behold this popped up.

Now, this thread didn't really deal with sausage though in the way I was looking for.

Two books I was looking at was Ruhlman and Kutas. Ruhlman's Charcuterie has been updated 2013 from the 2005 1st edition. I was concerned about the (many?) errors in the 1st printing. Also, that it seems to assume knowledge that may not be there. Kutas seems to be better (read that as I haven't found any mistake references).

After all that, my point is: most everything I've learned has come from this site and its members.

That's really why I resurrected this post.

P.S. those that say they're "saving up" for ruhlman, why? It's less than $25! Spend more than that on beer. I came across a site that wanted $700 (plus had the nerve to want another $7 to ship it to Canada). That was an oddity though (found two like that) as most were in the $60 range. Local book store has it new for $24.

It's cheap. Get it if you want it.

Last edited:
I am in a holding pattern regarding my grilling/barbecue efforts due to the time of year.

I did research on charcoal grilling/barbecuing for several years, and only started using charcoal this year. So, I'm out of diapers but still using training wheels.

I suffer from "paralysis by analysis." I've gotten so many different suggestions/ideas/recommendations from this website, and other websites, that I was for a time totally confused. That's when I decided that I would not follow verbatim anything that anyone suggested or recommended. I would consider the advice being given, tweak it to suit what I am trying to do, and move forward from there.

This doesn't mean that I "ignore" the advice; but I take it with a grain of salt (pun intended).

Having said that, I have found this website to be of immeasurable help. All of you are paying it forward. You're not trying to sell books or barbecue accessories. You are sharing your experiences, and anyone who reads any of the posts in this forum and in the others on this website will reap the benefits also.

I've purchased several books, most recently by Myron Mixon, regarding barbecue and grilling. I read them, pick 'n choose the recipes and guidance I like (and understand), and that's that.

As a few others have said, there isn't any "bible" for barbecue on my bookshelf.

Wow !

I bought Low and Slow last night cause it was a book that actually covered working with Weber smokers. Decided to do a search here today and discovered the past relations with the author Wiviott and this site. In my short history here I've come to love how people get along and share. I'm a avid sports fisherman in Oregon and the local fishing forum "ifish" is a playground for many guys who don't like to play nice. TVWBB is so refreshing.

Despite Wiviott's demeanor, I think I'll read and try his stuff, now with a grain of salt learned here from youz guys.

jz

I just looked on my cookbook shelf. There are 6 or 7 that are bbq related. The one I look at most often is the Cooks Country "Grilling and Barbecue". It has a bunch of recipes and guidelines for both gassers and kettles.
But my "go to" is this site right here! The people here might grill/barbecue more than I do,but they give me confidence,ideas and answers to my cooking needs.

Back