Best arrangement for ribs?

Mark Dietrich

TVWBB Member
I'm doing four slabs tomorrow. Only my second smoke. Am I better off rolling them and doing them all on the top, or is two up/two down all right? If I do split them up, should I swap them when I turn them?

Thanks,

Yep, top grate and roll em. No muss, no fuss. Put a big pan O beans below to catch all that love.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mark Dietrich:
I'm doing four slabs tomorrow. Only my second smoke. Am I better off rolling them and doing them all on the top, or is two up/two down all right? If I do split them up, should I swap them when I turn them?

Thanks, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Mark you can roll them and that will be fine. I would invest in a rib rack for future cooks and ease of cooking. It will also give you more capacity! Good luck with your cook!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Forwe:
Brian

How do you prep, and what type of gear do you use when you do beans? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Steve, I just remove the membrane and dust lightly with some rub. As for beans, I use a 1/2 foil pan for beans, from BJ's. That way I just toss it when empty. I hate washing baked on gunk out of things. It will hold a #10 can of beans, just barely. I use the Barbie's bean recipe found here.

Ribs (BRITU) went on at 2:00, in a rib rack. I used the MM, because I already had charcoal in the kettle and I was feeling lazy. I had to take the door off to get it up to temp, but then it held 240 like a champ. Now it's 10 minutes to 6:00, and we're at 260 and loving life.

I'm not sold on the rib rack though. I bought the Weber, but I'd like the slabs to be separated a little more. Am I imagining that? I also didn't cut the slabs in half, so they're kind of curled around on the ends. Still, they're in there, and they look beautiful. If I can muster the technology, I'll try to come up with a picture.

Thanks again for all the help. I can't believe this forum. It's like cooking with friends....and all of them get you.

Cheers,

Mark,
The Weber rib rack is one of the better ones I`ve seen and used. I agree that I would like more space too between ribs but after smoking ribs for a year now, the Weber does its job. The rack I used before was way too high and I couldn`t close the lid on my Weber 22 1/2 SOT.

As for the racks folding around the rack, I think thats just something we all deal with. If I had to re-design the WSM, I would go with a 22 1/2 diameter to start.

I`ll probably get another Weber rack for my larger smokes. Word is getting out and I get requests occasionally for parties.

I can't take credit for this, but can't give it either because I forgot who said it on this forum, but if you have a roasting pan, and have a rack, you can turn it upside down and it acts like a rib rack. A solid one at that.

Back