Best 410 Home Defense

russ olin

TVWBB Platinum Member
jHjaygm.jpg
v19avyx.jpg

KTVjlbw.jpg

I nominate my 410 Henry Axe. Its a great home defense weapon for smaller people or older people that don't want to put up with the recoil of a 12 gauge shotgun. The Henry Axe weighs just under 6lbs. Carries 5 2.5 inch 410 shotgun shell rounds in the tube. And one in the chamber if you like. Its a unique weapon lever action short barrel short stock. Easy to point & maneuver & shoot. Its also a great fun gun. Just for shooting targets & whatnot. Its my favorite. That being said there is some great rounds for the 410 due to the popularity of the Tars Judge & the Smith & Wesson Governor. I also own a Governor. The Governor has rifleings in the barrel. The Henry axe is a smooth bore barrel. Its not considered a shot gun. Its a considered a fire arm. If it was a shot gun it would be illegal due to the stock & barrel length. Funny country that we live in, no? Old school says that gun is a hogs leg short barrel lever action shot gun. Thats what I say it is. The Feds say different. Not legal in all states. I believe CA & AZ. But where I live its all a go. As you see in the picture you can see several rounds laying there. 1st one left 9 shot 300 BB's. 2nd round BBB Buck shot 12 pellets, deadly. 3rd & 4th rounds, double odd buck 4 pellets. Wouldn't want to be in front of it. Last round Winchester DPX 3 plated UFO disk backed by 12 plated BB's. 300 grains. 300 grains in a 4570 would take out a buffalo. Point being all around great home defense weapon & plinking weapon. Did I say, Its my favorite gun. How about yours?
P.s. I also have a 12 gauge in the other room.

Last edited:
Beretta 12 gauge with 00 Buck is a giant killer!

Attachments

• IMG_0792.JPG
    IMG_0792.JPG
    240.2 KB · Views: 11
Im OK with my snub nose Colt Detective's Special with 38+p JHP. Worked for me when I was a cop, it'll get the job done now.
Different tools for different jobs.

Looks like a winner for home defense for me, provided of course that the shot was big enough to have some stopping power.

I live in New Jersey, and guns here are unfortunately heavily regulated. One quirk (not sure if this is true in other states) is that a seventeen-year-old can legally own a rifle and drive himself to the range to shoot. However, he/she is not allowed to drive to the range with the rifle.

PS - I would have liked to see something more in the picture for scale and/or a photo of how the gun looks when held.

Glock model 22, .40 caliber. First out is jacketed, second is hollow point. Never had to use it and hope I never do.

Back