Bent WSM Lip

TonyHunter

TVWBB Member
Yes, I have been a very bad boy! My WSM lid got all gunky and gooey, and stuck to the cooking chamber section. So, I have repeatedly pryed the lid off with a flat head screwdriver. Well, I guess you can visualize how the lip looks. It has the pry bends all around the lip in various places. So, am I doomed to replacing the sections completely, or is there something I can do to fix the bends and make the lip flat again?

it would be expensive to replace the center section and or the lid. Can you use pliers and bend the lip back?

My lid sticks every-so-often, I just tap aound the outside of the "barrel" while lifting. That usually gets it to let go after a few taps

it would be expensive to replace the center section and or the lid. Can you use pliers and bend the lip back?

Put a towel between the plier lips then grip the lip so you don't leave more marks.

If they are really bad you can lay the lid on edge and gently tap the spots back into place with a small hammer, working your way around the lid. Hopefully the spots arent so bad that you need to do this.

Put a towel between the plier lips then grip the lip so you don't leave more marks.

If they are really bad you can lay the lid on edge and gently tap the spots back into place with a small hammer, working your way around the lid. Hopefully the spots arent so bad that you need to do this.

Great idea. Thanks! :)

Tony, sorry to hear you were having that much trouble. WHat I do to make sure this doesnt happen is keep organic baby wipes around, or a wet towel. After I am done smoking I wipe off the edges so it does not stick. As for fixing it, what you could do is the towel thing. What you also might want to do is call Weber and see if they do repairs as well or if it would be covered under your ten year warranty. Lastly if all else fails, you can go to home depot and they have a tool which can bend metal lips. I am not sure what it is called so you would have to ask but I know I used one when I created my Mini WSM.

Tony, sorry to hear you were having that much trouble. WHat I do to make sure this doesnt happen is keep organic baby wipes around, or a wet towel. After I am done smoking I wipe off the edges so it does not stick. As for fixing it, what you could do is the towel thing. What you also might want to do is call Weber and see if they do repairs as well or if it would be covered under your ten year warranty. Lastly if all else fails, you can go to home depot and they have a tool which can bend metal lips. I am not sure what it is called so you would have to ask but I know I used one when I created my Mini WSM.

Thanks so much. I think I will look for that tool anyway. It sounds like something handy to have around. :)

Yer liable to create more damage doing the repair with pliers !

Go to Harbor Freight and look at the auto body repair tools.
You will see radiused backup blocks and the body man's hammer.
There is a right way to do this.

YMMV

Hope the repair turns out well.

Yer liable to create more damage doing the repair with pliers !

Go to Harbor Freight and look at the auto body repair tools.
You will see radiused backup blocks and the body man's hammer.
There is a right way to do this.

YMMV

Hope the repair turns out well.

Very good suggestion! Thanks. :)

Back