Benefits of butcher paper wrapping a brisket (Franklin style)???

I'm not a big fan of sweet on beef. At least not super sweet. Salt and Pepper is great on brisket. Granulated Onion and Garlic are great too. I sometimes like some sauce on the side, depending, but more on the tangy side than the sweet side. That's just me. I cook full packers. They are readily available in Texas. My super marker just got a bunch of Certified Angus Beef packers in.

No. I hear that, which is why I'm asking. I'm just wondering if I should still use a rub but a different rub? Try and capture the juices? If so, how? Believe me, all about the beef. This is just my first.

No. I hear that, which is why I'm asking. I'm just wondering if I should still use a rub but a different rub? Try and capture the juices? If so, how? Believe me, all about the beef. This is just my first.

This is what I like on Brisket and most Beef roasts. Make a paste with Weber's Chicago steak seasoning ( or Montreal steak ) in a mortar and pestle ( to open up the spices ) with some worsh and a tad bit of oil.
A squirt of some whole grain mustard to the mix would not be unwelcome.:wsm:
Tim

Last edited:
This is what I like on Brisket and most Beef roasts. Make a paste with Weber's Chicago steak seasoning ( or Montreal steak ) in a mortar and pestle ( to open up the spices ) with some worsh and a tad bit of oil.
A squirt of some whole grain mustard to the mix would not be unwelcome.:wsm:
Tim

Ooooh.....

OK so, I've acquired my first brisket and I'm freaking out a bit because I may or may not do it tomorrow depending on what I do with my kids. Anyway, it was a 13lb packer cut and I decided to have him cut some of the flat off as I'm hoping to get some burnt ends. So it's 9lbs right now. Calculating that out I'm looking at about 13ish hours, right? And that's all smoking before the resting, correct? I definitely want some crispy bark (hence the burnt ends) but I'm not sure if I can get that if I foil it or if I can acquire butcher paper or a mortar and pestle in short order. If anyone has more advice on rub or making more of a gravy from the juices that would be appreciated. The butcher I spoke to also mentioned Montreal steak, not sure if I can find Chicago, but then said sometimes the sweetness of the rib rub is good too. TIA!

Rather than using that on the brisket, does anyone work to bring out the beef flavor?
I've only done brisket twice, so take that into account. The last one was very good. I followed a rather complicated recipe that worked very hard to get glutamates into the picture. They make beef taste beefier. I injected with beef broth and Worcestershire. The rub was McCormack's Montreal Steak mixed with onion powder and ground dried sh-itake mushrooms (glutamates). The spritz liquid was beef broth, Worcestershire, and fish sauce (glutamates). The result was delicious, though I discovered I'm apparently mildly allergic to glutamates, something I've long suspected after eating at certain Chinese restaurants. Next time I think I'll back off a bit on the shrooms and fish sauce.

Kosher salt and coarse ground black pepper is all you need and it will taste awesome. You can go more complex but I promise salt and pepper is great. That said, I used a store bought rub on my last brisket, Meat Church Holy Cow and it was good. It's just a packaged simple rub though. It looks like they added some garlic and onion, maybe some paprika, maybe some mystery ingredients? Your rib rub will probably be fine in all honestly too. I've used beef rubs with some sugar, just not super sugary. My thinking is with your first brisket, you don't need to get too crazy.

As far as burnt ends, depending on your method, most people cube up the point and throw it back on. That should firm up the bark if you softened it during the wrap. 13 hours is about right but if you just cut off part of the flat, I don't know if that's going to shorten you cook time that much. Unwrapped that thing could go longer.

Kosher salt and coarse ground black pepper is all you need and it will taste awesome. You can go more complex but I promise salt and pepper is great. That said, I used a store bought rub on my last brisket, Meat Church Holy Cow and it was good. It's just a packaged simple rub though. It looks like they added some garlic and onion, maybe some paprika, maybe some mystery ingredients? Your rib rub will probably be fine in all honestly too. I've used beef rubs with some sugar, just not super sugary. My thinking is with your first brisket, you don't need to get too crazy.

As far as burnt ends, depending on your method, most people cube up the point and throw it back on. That should firm up the bark if you softened it during the wrap. 13 hours is about right but if you just cut off part of the flat, I don't know if that's going to shorten you cook time that much. Unwrapped that thing could go longer.

I'm thinking about Timothy's paste suggestion, as I have access to Montreal, just not a mortar and pestle. I know I could just try and crush it with a spoon. Anyway, due to my kid's XC practice, we're not eating until late (8:30pm), so I'm thinking if I start at 5AM ready to go, I should be OK, as opposed to worrying about something going wrong in the middle of the night.

I'm thinking about Timothy's paste suggestion, as I have access to Montreal, just not a mortar and pestle. I know I could just try and crush it with a spoon.
I would just put the oil and worsh and mustard, if so inclined, in a bowl with the Montreal Steak and leave it sit for a while. As the garlic and other things soften you should be able to muddle it with a heavy spoon.

Back