Beginning essentials for a wsm that really help a new guy be successful

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I posted this (additional question) under "where to buy a WSM in Stuart, Fl.." but thought it might get more attention here also. In essense, the additional question concerned wanting to start with the right "stuff" when I order a WSM. I will order a wsm through Amazon but was wondering what add ons I should also order. For instance, I have heard temp probes are essential and I like the idea of the remotes. Which remotes give the best bang for the buck. What other "bells and whistles' really help. In other words, is there a cook book (map) that someone could provide (me, a new smoker) that they would get with the wsm if doing it again that would have made their their efforts even more successful. I dont want to buy every add on posssible (as there are so many), just the ones that really, really help (possibly like a remote probe) and would pay a little extra for the add on(s) that really help assure success. As always, thanks in advance.. this is a great board.

Hi, Robert. For my money, one of the most useful tools I have for Q'in are my temp probes. I have the standard Polder (not wireless) and the Temperature Detective (which can take up to three remote units.) I use the wireless units to measure grate temps while doing other things, and I use the Polders to check internal meat temps.

This forum that Chris has is the best map you could ask for in terms of using your WSM. Admittedly, I don't even have a WSM (I have a severly modified Weber kettle), but the knowledge contained in the pages that Chris has put together, and in the brains of the people who post here have helped my Q improve significantly in the last few months. I'm sure others will chime in with other WSM specifics.

Other than that, I echo some comments you got the other day....just jump in and Q something! If you follow the advice from this board, you will amaze yourself and your family/friends with the great Q you do the first time and after.

Other must haves: good sharp knives, a good place for meats (CostCo has most of what I need), and some hungry guests.

Rich G -- Q'in in CA!!

Good morning again Robert.
Go to this thread at the main site. It will answer most of your questions regarding add-ons.
Usage Tips & FAQs
Information you won't find in the Owner's Manual to help you master the Weber Bullet.

Also,
Barbecue Accessories & Supplies. The picture here
at this sub-topic should be woth 1000 words!!
As you get into cooking you will decide for yourself what you need or would like to have to
make the experience more enjoyable. Good luck
and don't hesitate to write.

As a newbie myself (only had my WSM three months now...but I use it regurlarly and stocked up with 400lbs charcoal for winter) Its a well designed and very nice unit out of the box.. I'd get it and play with it for a while and keep enjoying this board as it is a wonderful resource and I have been very greatful for the replies to my q'ing questions I've posted here as I've never run into a board of nicer people willing to share their expertise. Thats been my most essential tool to being sucessful as a new guy.

As far as accessories I think that a couple of the poulder meat thermometers are the most essential tool I've used. Temprature control is real important (but quite easy with this unit!)and these tools are a great way to do that. I picked up for 45$ one remote version of the Poulder (at Williams & Sonoma but there are plenty of versions out there) that goes in the meat for me and then use a traditional one stuck through a potatoe on the grill, but not touching to give me the actual temprature at the grill level. (this was another tip I picked up on this board) I like this better than drilling and putting a thermometer in the top of the weber as this dosent give you temp at the grill level anyway you would stil have to test grill temp and get used to subtracting from the temp at the top of the dome (unless someone found a way to calibrate one of these things the 25 -50 or so degrees now that would be nifty).

As far as modifications the only ones I'm considering is the handles for the lower grate, building a third grate with some conduit and washers to off set it 3-4 inches from the bottom grate to add capacity. The usage tips and modifications sections can get you thinking about how to tailor your unit to your needs over time.

Still a newbie and enjoying every minute.

Tom

Hi Robert!

Rich hit it on the head...get yourself a temp probe. I tried cooking for a year without having one and it was such a bad experience, I quit smoking for a year. Could never figure out why my meat was so tough...no Internet back then either! Come to find out...my cooker was topping out at 190?! Kinda hard to cook meat to 200? when your cooker is stuck at 190?!

Bought a probe and everything worked out well!

If you can afford $179 for the WSM, go the extra step and dish out $20 for a probe.

/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Rich, Pat, Tom, Kevin and Chris (I dont belive I remembered 5 names without looking back!). Ok, going to get a Remote Check Thermometer from Maverick (because of the 2 probes (one for the meat, one for the grill temp)). I dont know if I will then also need a Lid thermometer so as of right now, I will not get a lid probe. Dont know (yet) if Polder makes a remote and if that would be the remote of choice but I will check it out. I am heavy into computers and enjoy gadgets like this. I actually printed the accessory pages and will order them when i get the WSM (probably tonight). I wonder if I can get most of the accessoreis from Amazon, or if the extras are at the various local stores. Anyway, thanks a lot once again. Now for my first Q, I will simply tell the invitees to "be ready for a phone call anytime between 1pm and Midnight that dinner is now ready " /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Use Ansel Edmont gloves WW Grainger part #5ac18-4. They are around $20 . They are essential for removing a water pan, butts, briskets, and other large hot items.
Frank

Ok, the deed is done. Ordered the WSM from Amazon, along with a rib rack, chimney, and instant temp probe. Now, the next questions is which remote probe do you all think I should get? I was on the Advance page and saw some bad reviews on polders. Amazon did not have the maverick and to make things worse, I am really unsure about which remote I should purchase.. and where. Any suggestions would be apprecitated.

Get a Taylor metal 2 1/2' dial candy thermometer for the lid and an instant read meat thermometer and they will last for years. You can buy both for under $20 from any resturant supply store. The digital ones are great till they get wet, they get hot in the sun, the battery goes dead, etc, etc.
Frank.

I totally agree with Frank. I have gone through two digital probes thermometers in the past year due to moisture damage. Mind you, they were not REAL polders, but a Pyrex knockoff.

I bought a good-quality deep-fry thermo which I clip in the top vent hole and an instant read whch I use to periodically check internal temps. This system has certainly worked out fine for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back