Beginner questions

Not to over complicate things but keep an eye on the vent these servos (Sg90 i think ) are really cheap and i don't know how good the resolution is. This is the ability to return to the same position at o and 100 percent. One of mine stopped closing all the way, at 0 percent. Nothing major just something to keep in mind.

GBrown when adjusting the damper servo you want to listen to the servo if you try to over drive (rotate) it you can burn it out. Listen to it if you hear a buzzing sound you have to change your settings. This might take a few tries to get it right. I use an rd3 that snaps together and is pretty tight going together and stays together ok . Good luck with hooking up to the Kamado it takes a little head scratching but not hard . Keep us posted. Maybe that could be a good topic " Rube Goldberg Kamado Attatchments" pics
I was looking to fashion something out of sheet aluminum, but I want a cleaner looks than the tools will allow me to get. So I just ordered the BBQGurus Pit Boss adapter for my Costco Louisiana Grills Kamado. I was reading that the Pit Boss adapter will work for this.

Looks like your plan is coming together. I made a rube goldberg adapter for my joe and i'm planning to make something that looks better or buy a new one Keep us posted . What kind of puppy?

Looks like your plan is coming together. I made a rube goldberg adapter for my joe and i'm planning to make something that looks better or buy a new one Keep us posted . What kind of puppy?
He's a goldendoodle. He's 14 months old now and 60 pounds. Haha

Alright. So I got it all hooked up and did a test run. The temps quickly shot up to the 225 I set it to, which was awesome. Then it slowly started to climb from there though. Any tips on what I'm doing wrong? Too much charcoal? What should my top vent be set to?

1597287658385.png

1597287697238.png

Yeah, none of the HeaterMeter settings do anything if the Output is always 0% and the temperature just keeps climbing. As Martin said, you've got too much air naturally flowing through the system for HeaterMeter to do anything so choke that down until the temperature actually drops when the output is off.

Hot coals are like a pump.
They create draft, pull air in thru leak points
Using less helps.....but you want it tight enough so that no matter how much is burning, air shuts off and temp turns around and begins falling. Thats what the servo driven damper does on a reasonably tight setup.

dropping your lid and knocking it out of round is enough to cause a big leak at the head.... I've done that...or crusty buildup where it doesn't seat. It is very easy to bend lid or shell slightly.... And that is all it takes. Simply striking it hard with your hand will do it......

I've got some sealant coming in tomorrow that I'm going to put on and see if that does the trick.

Alright, got the sealant on and let it cure 24 hours. Also closed the top vent and this is my new result. Same PID settings.

1597609454549.png

Back