Beer N' Q

Konrad Haskins

R.I.P. 3/23/2014
Well I normally start wine threads. Since we got a beer license I've been sucking back a few brews.

The good
Big Sky Brewing MT
Moose Drool and Summer Honey
Spanish Peaks Rasberry Honey the only "fruit" beer I like.
Deschutes, Bend, OR, Porter

The Bad
I got a free six pack of Mich Ultra fruit flavors (Cactus Lime, Tuscan Orange and Rasberry) from the rep, worst beer I've ever tasted. One sip and down the drain.

The weird
The head brewer at Brooklyn Lager was on food TV proclaiming that the Alaskan smoked porter was the perfect match for pulled pork. Only if you like the beer (dark, strong, power brew). It's not what I'd call an approachable beer. My perfect match for pulled pork would be Moose Drool.

Have a smokey and safe 4th.

Can't go wrong with Bud Select.
icon_cool.gif

I'm a real "beer light weight, but the one I enjoy, whenever I enjoy one, is Yuengling. I would be interested in how others who have a more discriminating taste than me, feel about it. The one I've tried is the standard Larger.

Paul

See what a light weight I am - I spelled Lager - Larger.
icon_smile.gif

I'll second Yuengling, Lager's a great brew with black & tan coming in second. Plus I like supporting a local family run business that's been around for almost 200 years!!

-Dave

The god thing about the west coast is we have so many breweries not to mention world class wineries. That is also the bad thing as a ton of good beer never makes it here including Yuengling, which I'd like to try.

These days I'm a very moderate lightweight when it comes drinking in terms of quantity. I make up for it with the quality of the beverage.

I love yuengling as well, and luckliy the Navy base up here gets it a couple times a year and I stock up.

Anything by Stone Brewery is going to be outstandind, and New Belgium hits the mark most of the time.
Arlington has a new brewery called "Skookum" which I have my corny keg filled, usually of "Ambers Hot Friend"

as a homebrewer myself, i rarely ever have anything made by BMC (Bud, Miller, Coors)... I tend to look for a nice hoppy pale ale for hot summer days (Sierra Nevada is alright)... though a nice tart wheat ale is often quite nice as well, like a hefeweizen... i don't yet have the facilities to Lager properly, but that situation is about to be remedied (my neighbors are moving and selling me a large chest freezer i'm converting to a lagering fridge) and i'll be making a proven Oktoberfest recipe here in the next couple weeks to have ready for the fall... but i'm a fortunate man in that my wife (a recovering Bud Light drinker) will no longer allow store bought beer in the house unless there is an emergency (homebrew runs out ahead of schedule or we have a party or somethin)...

if you wanna get quality, like when you're Q'in, ya need to start brewin as well... btw - i also make my own wine and meads as well... :p

I don't think I can get any of the beers you listed here. Sierra Nevada and Stone Brewing are two good west coast brewers that are available here. Yeungling retains a mystical status by only distributing in Pennsylvania and Florida.

Greg M,

try some stuff from Bell's Brewery outta MI... they have some fantastic beers... two hearted ale is one of my favorites, but don't expect that you can drink an entire six pack without paying a price... very strong stuff... their Oberon summer wheat ale is also another excpetional beer...

I love Bell's stuff. The two-hearted is my absolute favorite beer. We're lucky to have it on tap at a local bar/restaurant. One place opens a firkin of it every so often, but I've yet to try one.

I didn't particularly care for the Oberon. However, the goose island 312 is a summer wheat that I like. They actually have several ales that are pretty good (and thankfully available here).

Three Floyd's in NW indiana has some good stuff too.

3floyds has a couple of nice beers, but i'm not a huge fan of theirs... if you liked smoked beer, take a try of ofallons smoked porter, VERY nice

Yuengling is gaining distribution in other states besides PA and FL...check out their website. The Goose Island brands of beers are very good, try the Nut Brown Ale next time with some Q. Also another smooth drinking lager that has a dark cooler but not a dark taste is Michelob Amber Bock....you can easily go thru a 6 pack while waiting on some butts to finish.

Asked my wife to pick up some beer since she was running to the store. Came back with Michelob Ultra (Ultra bad). Last time I do that.
icon_biggrin.gif

My typical beer is Henry's Hefeweizen. Henry's Dark in season. At the lower range of drinkable, but works for me.

Beers 'n BBQ's!

That Michelob Ultra is pretty bad isn't it. If you want low carb in a beer Miller Lite is about the best I found. For consumption of mass quantities I'll usually get the Miller Lite, If I want a few of something good it's going to be the Yuengling Lager.

Wow, I can't believe all the support Yuenglings is getting. The only time I've tried it was during a recent trip to Buffalo, and I found it nearly undrinkable. Maybe the tap was tainted.
As for the good stuff, I'm always happy with Fat Tire, Pilsner Urquell, Anchor Steam, and Red Stripe.

Yuengling... I was traveling for work in Virginia. I asked what local brews to try. It was suggested I ask for a "lager". They'd know that lager meant Yuengling. First one was real good, second, third, fourth, and so... It's a great beer, but all things must be consumed in moderation...

I live in KC. We can't get Yuengling here. I prefer a variety of microbrews, only because I haven't started brewing my own beer, YET!! I also like a little glass of Bulliet bourbon on ice.

Back